This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3473 / 51°20'50"N
Longitude: -1.0026 / 1°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 469561
OS Northings: 161388
OS Grid: SU695613
Mapcode National: GBR B5M.KBB
Mapcode Global: VHDXC.KDTH
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 139116
Location: Stratfield Saye, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG7
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Stratfield Saye
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Stratfield Saye with Hartley Wespall with Stratfield Turgis
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 66 SE STRATFIELD SAYE STRATFIELD SAYE PARK
26.4.57 Church of St Mary the
1758 possibly designed by John Pitt (Calvin p 639), restor ation 1965. Replacing a medieval church in a new site, the building has a Greek Cross plan, with an octagonal tower above the crossing. There is a copper dome (with a finial) and copper roofing of low pitch to the arms. Walling is in painted brickwork, English bond, with a moulded brick cornice, a pediment effect at the gables, and plinth. The octagon has a stepped cornice. Circular (slatted) openings on the axes, and a band above roof level. The entrance facade (north) has 3 circular lights above 3 arched openings, with springer band. The windows are round-headed, single and central to the side of some arms, but otherwise in pairs, with the outer fitted. They have leaded lights within cross frames, the 'east) (south) being a Venetian design within an outer arch. The north gable has a circular window above a classical doorway, of cornice, frieze, and architrave. Inside, the pulpit came from the old church, the west arm has original box
pews (copied elsewhere in the restoration), the font is Victorian of Wren style. There is a gallery in the north and east arms, the latter containing a C18 organ. There are rich monuments to the Pitt family (1636, 1734, 1803), the builders of the church, and wall mouments to Dukes of Wellington. Despite the external raised dome, the ceiling is flat, with plain coving. In the open porch, the floor has medieval tomb slabs, which once contained C15 brasses to the Darbridge court family, which preceded the Pitts (about 1620-1815).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings