History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eshton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eshton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9999 / 53°59'59"N

Longitude: -2.0964 / 2°5'47"W

OS Eastings: 393776

OS Northings: 455994

OS Grid: SD937559

Mapcode National: GBR FQS5.XW

Mapcode Global: WHB70.RQWF

Entry Name: Eshton Hall

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324924

Location: Eshton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Eshton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Gargrave St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Gargrave

Listing Text

ESHTON _
SD 95 NW

3/48 Eshton Hall

10.9.54

GV II *


Large house. 1825-7 by George Webster of Kendal for Matthew Wilson. Ashlar
with slate roofs. The main block is of two storeys, and five by five bays, but
the bays vary greatly in width. Elizabethan revival. The parapet is continuous
and flat-coped except over the porch which has ornamental cresting;over the
windows the parapet is of open strapwork. The windows are sashed with glazing
bars but their nature is concealed by the mullions and transoms of the surrounds
which produce an effect of five-light windows in the outer bays and cross
windows in the inner bays of each side. The outer bays project and so does the
two-storey porch on the south-east side which has coupled Doric antae on each
storey. the symmetry is disrupted on the North East by a short wing ending in
an octagonal turret of three stages, capped by a scalloped crest and original
lead dome, bearing a weathervane cut to read "MW 1826". Also on this side is a
service wing of dressed stone. This is of two storeys and nine bays with a
gabled gatehouse of earlier Tudor character, complete with oriel window and
gabled bellcote. The interior is planned around a central staircase of the
Imperial type, the upper flights supported by two Solomonic columns. Closed
string, heavy turned balusters, deep openwork handrail and panelled newels with
urn finials. The lower walls are plain but the upper stage has three keystoned
blind arches to each wall, separated by paired panelled Doric pilasters. Above
this a lantern is supported by an octagonal cove with floriated finials, panels
and lion masks. The entrance hall has similar pilasters, a rosetted frieze and
modillion cornice supporting a simple ribbed ceiling. The doors here and
throughout the house have narrow vertical panels. The whole south-west side is
occupied by the drawing room and library which have two fireplaces to the same
design of coupled Ionic pilastars, in white and grey marble respectively. The
dining room, on the other side of the house, continues the Doric pilasters and
has a strapwork ceiling. This room also has a grey marble fireplace with fluted
coupled pilasters. With Winderley Hall, Kirkby Lonsdale CP, Cumbria (q.v.) also
by Webster, this is one of the earliest fully achieved works in this revived
style.


Listing NGR: SD9377655994

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.