History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hearse House Approximately 20 Metres South East of Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Kildwick, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9089 / 53°54'31"N

Longitude: -1.9833 / 1°58'59"W

OS Eastings: 401193

OS Northings: 445858

OS Grid: SE011458

Mapcode National: GBR GRL7.DJ

Mapcode Global: WHB7N.H0SP

Entry Name: Hearse House Approximately 20 Metres South East of Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324754

Location: Kildwick, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD20

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Kildwick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kildwick St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Low Bradley

Listing Text

SE 04 NW KILDWICK PRIEST BANK ROAD
(north side)
1/26
Hearse house approximately
20 metres south-east of
Church of St Andrew

GV II

Hearse house. c.1825. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, graduated stone slate
roof. Single-storey one-bay building with entrance in west gable; double board doors,
the right leaf with pedestrian door; long and short jamb stones and voussoirs to round
arch of ashlar masonry. Shaped kneelers and gable coping to entrance gable only.
Inserted stack to north wall. Added outbuilding to south side not of special interest.
Interior not inspected at resurvey. In c.1770 the base of the church tower was altered
to house the new hearse; about 50 years later a 'receptable' was supplied to house
the hearse but the Rev. Fawcett (d.1867) complained in 1850 that the church tower was
still used for rubbish. Rev E W Brereton, History of the Ancient and Historic Church
of St Andrew, 1909.


Listing NGR: SE0119345858

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.