History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Overbury, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0338 / 52°2'1"N

Longitude: -2.0615 / 2°3'41"W

OS Eastings: 395878

OS Northings: 237269

OS Grid: SO958372

Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.FN4

Mapcode Global: VHB14.741Q

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167831

English Heritage Legacy ID: 148569

Location: Overbury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Overbury

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Beckford

Listing Text

OVERBURY CP -
SO 9437 - 9537
9/116 The Old School House
GV II

Schoolmaster's house, now house. 1908 by Ernest Newton for Richard Biddulph
Martin. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; limestone tiled roof
in diminishing courses, gable-end parapets with ball finials and large ashlar
ridge stacks, stack to west of centre has two shafts and east end stack has
three shafts, both stacks have continuous moulded cappings. Roughly T-plan;
main range aligned east/west and of three bays; east end bay has gabled pro-
jections to north and south, their roof ridges slightly lower in height than
main part. Single storey and attic with dormers. North front elevation:
windows are all leaded casements; main part has a single-light ground floor
window to the western end, a central gabled dormer which has a 2-light
chamfered mullioned window. Both windows have dripstones. Beneath the dormer
is the main entrance which has a round-headed doorway with a square head and
moulded architrave and flanking rectangular lights; the doorway has a hoodmould
and returns which continue above the lights. The projecting gable end to the
east has a ground and attic floor 3-light chamfered mullioned window with a
hoodmould. There is a similar attic light in the west gable end. A hipped-
roofed single-storey, single-bay wash-house adjoins the east gable end. The
building appears to have been little altered since it was built and is an
interesting example of Newton designing in a Neo-Shaw style so as to be in
keeping with the school and other adjoining Shaw buildings. (Newton, W G:
The Life and Work of Ernest Newton, London, 1925).


Listing NGR: SO9587837269

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.