This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0624 / 51°3'44"N
Longitude: -1.3143 / 1°18'51"W
OS Eastings: 448146
OS Northings: 129453
OS Grid: SU481294
Mapcode National: GBR 861.BJ2
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.V2R
Entry Name: 30-41, High Street
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Last Amended: 14 January 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144594
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1833 HIGH STREET
Nos 30 to 41 (consec)
(formerly listed as Nos
30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 41
SU 4829 SW 6/92 24.3.50.
Mainly C16, 3 storeys, much altered. Upper floors project across pavement,
and are supported on columns along pavement edge. Several have over-sailing
gebles, bargeboards and moulded ridge tiles. The group is no longer uniform,
a number of the houses having been rebuilt. No 30 Three storeys, three
windows sashes with glazing bars. No31. Has a gable with old bargeboards.
No 32. Rebuilt circa 1850. White brick, three storeys three windows.
Nos33 - 35 (consec) have C16 timber-framed plastered gables and bargeboards.
No 33 has a modern bow window on the first floor. No 34 has a very good
mid C19 tobacconist's shop interior. Nos 36 & 37 are a late C19 rebuilding
in the Elizabethan manner. Very decorative. Three storeys. No 88.
Simlior to Nos 36 and 37 but on a smaller scale. No 39 Late C19. Red
brick. Three storeys. Nos 40 and 41 form the West end of the Pentice
and are C17-18, 2 storeys, plaster, with hipped roof. Shop fronts under
arcade, modern. Now completely rebuilt in facsimile but containing remains
of tthe Royal Palace.
The Old Market House, the Butter Cross and Nos 25 to 50 (consec) form a
Listing NGR: SU4814929447
Other nearby listed buildings