This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8729 / 53°52'22"N
Longitude: -1.0404 / 1°2'25"W
OS Eastings: 463191
OS Northings: 442283
OS Grid: SE631422
Mapcode National: GBR PR5N.KD
Mapcode Global: WHFCH.ZXRB
Entry Name: Escrick Park
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326274
Location: Escrick, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO19
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Escrick
Built-Up Area: Escrick
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Escrick St Helen
Church of England Diocese: York
ESCRICK ESCRICK PARK ESTATE
SE 64 SW
Small country house, now school. Main block of c1680-1690 for Henry
Thompson, with alterations and additions of 1758 (1758 on rainwater head)
and range to rear of c1765 by John Carr for Beilby Thompson and later
additions and alterations including mid-C19 wings, and with C20 additions of
no particular interest. Main block and wings: cement rendered with ashlar
dressings, with Carr range to rear of pinkish-brown brick with red brick and
ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Main block of 3 storeys and 7 bays with
single-storey, 2-bay extension to right forming side entrance and single-
storey, singe-bay extension to left forming loggia and library. Wings are
set back to rear, that to right has block of 2 storeys and 3 bays, that to
left of 2 storeys, 4 bays. C19 entrance to right side aportico of 4 Ionic
columns supporting frieze, cornice and balustrade. Within a 6-panel double-
door. Main range: ground floor has mainly full-height openings with C20
casements, that to left extension is blind and that to right a tripartite
window with 2-pane sashes. 1st floor band. Single-storey ranges surmounted
by balustrades, balusters to left missing. First floor has 12-pane sashes.
2nd floor band. Attic storey has 6-pane sashes. All openings in
architraves. Moulded modillion cornice, frieze, and balustrade with
alternate panels and groups of 6 balusters. Decorative urns to corners.
Concealed hipped roof. 2 lead rainwater heads inscribed 'BT 1758'
for Beilby Thompson. Carr range to rear has canted bays. Mainly
12-pane sashes with ashlar sills and flat arches of red gauged brick. Early
C20 infil between bays. Interior includes mid-C18 imperial staircase with
rod on carved vase balusters and wreathed handrail. Moulded ceiling with
medallion heads of Democritus, Heraclitus, Hippocrates and Socrates to
corners and panels containing naturalistic motifs, surrounded by modillion
and fleurette cornice. Other half of ceiling destroyed in flood. Other
good cornices. Former dining room now headmaster's study remodelled by Carr
and has Neo-classical ceiling, frieze, cornice and panelling. Late C18
fireplace in yellow and white marble probably by John Fisher of York.
Library remodelled c1830 has fitted bookcases, gilded ceiling and decorative
cornices, probably by Edward Blore. Now Queen Margaret's School.
Pevsner N. Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1978, pp 224-5.
York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr, 1973, pll.
Essay by Titus Forbes-Adam.
Listing NGR: SE6319142283
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings