This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8805 / 53°52'49"N
Longitude: -1.0461 / 1°2'45"W
OS Eastings: 462805
OS Northings: 443127
OS Grid: SE628431
Mapcode National: GBR PR4K.BP
Mapcode Global: WHFCH.XQ1G
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326290
Location: Escrick, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO19
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Escrick
Built-Up Area: Escrick
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Escrick St Helen
Church of England Diocese: York
In the entry for the following:-
SE 64 SW
2/34 (west side)
Church of St Helen
The Grade shall be amended to read II * ( star)
ESCRICK YORK ROAD
SE 64 SW
Church of St Helen
Church. 1857 by F C Penrose for Rev and Hon Stephen Willoughby Lawley and
the second Lord Wenlock with restorations of 1923 by John Bilson. Sandstone
ashlar with plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style with Geometrical tracery
throughout. 5-bay nave with north aisle and further single bay vestry,
south porch, 2-bay apsidal chancel, 8-sided apse to west end, 5-stage north-
east tower. South porch to first bay has three-quarter diagonal buttresses.
Pointed entrance arch with band and 3 trefoil headed lights above.
Battlements on band with gargoyles. Octagonal stair turret to rear with
short spirelet. Nave: plinth. South side: buttress with off-sets to
angles. 3-light, pointed windows with continuous hoodmould. Corbel table
with strapwork band. North aisle has buttresses with off-sets and 2-light,
straight-headed windows with hoodmoulds and continuous sill band. 3-light,
pointed window to west end. Vestry has pointed plank priest's entrance to
east end. Angle buttresses. 3-light window to north with quatrefoils to
head. Battlements. West apse has three-quarter buttresses to angles,
ogee-headed entrance with iron crypt door and six 2-light, pointed windows
with trefoils to heads on continuous sill band and under hoodmoulds.
Gargoyles on band. Chancel recessed slightly and has buttresses with off-
sets, a trefoil-headed niche to first bay and 2-light pointed windows with
trefoils to heads throughout. Embattled north east tower buttresses have
angles surmounted by pinnacles, pointed east plank doorway in chamfered
surround. 5-light arcade to third stage. Twin 2-light bell openings to
each side. Semi-circular stair turret adjoins chancel. Interior: nave has
pointed arcade on clustered piers. Pointed chancel arch and west apse arch.
Inner roofed arcade on marble columns. Marble font supported by 3 putti.
Monuments in west apse: early C14 mutilated effigy of knight, wall monuments
to Lady Jane Lawley d.1816 by Thorwaldsen; to Richard Thompson, d.1820
(unsigned); to Beilby Thompson, d.1799 by Fishers of York. In north aisle,
to Lady Wenlock d.1868 by Count Gleichen with a recumbent figure; wall
plaque to Beilby, 3rd Baron Wenlock by Eric Gill. Pevsner N, Yorkshire,
York and The East Riding, 1978, pp 223-4.
Listing NGR: SE6280543127
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings