This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0373 / 52°2'14"N
Longitude: -2.0608 / 2°3'38"W
OS Eastings: 395924
OS Northings: 237660
OS Grid: SO959376
Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.7SC
Mapcode Global: VHB14.72D0
Entry Name: Sunny Bank Cottage
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148586
Location: Overbury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Overbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
OVERBURY CP -
SO 9437 - 9537
9/133 Sunny Bank Cottage
House. Probably late C18, altered and extended in 1902 by Ernest Newton
for Richard Biddulph Martin. Coursed dressed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; slate roof with gable-end parapets and handmade brick end stacks.
Two storeys and attic with half-dormers and moulded eaves cornice. Three
bays; outer bays have 16-pane sashes on both main floors and above are gabled
half-dormers which have parapets with kneelers and 9-pane sashes. There is a
central first floor round-headed sash window with a moulded keyblock. Beneath
it is the main entrance which has a moulded flat stone canopy on consoles and
a round-headed doorway in which has been inserted a partly-glazed door with
a cambered head and a segmental panel above. An out building converted in 1902
to form a small extension projects to the north-east side. Its walls have been
raised in height in ashlar and it has a shone tiled roof laid in diminishing
courses and an ashlar ridge.end stack with two shafts. Single storey and attic
with dormers. Two bays. Ground floor has two 12-pane sashes and a rectangular
leaded light and there are two gabled dormers with 2-light leaded casements.
In the angle with the main part is a 4-panelled door and a small attic window.
The name of the house and the date of the alterations are inscribed at the
upper left corner at the front of the wing. Interior has a dog-leg staircase
with c1902 balustrading of decorative openwork panels. [cf staircase at
Northlands House (qv) and the gate panels at The Red House and flanking walls (qv)
(qv)]. Ground floor of main range has limestone flags. (Newton, W G: The Life
and Works of Ernest Newton, London, 1925).
Listing NGR: SO9592437660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings