History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruins of the Old Hewell Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Tutnall and Cobley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3192 / 52°19'9"N

Longitude: -1.9886 / 1°59'18"W

OS Eastings: 400875

OS Northings: 269013

OS Grid: SP008690

Mapcode National: GBR 2G7.G37

Mapcode Global: VH9ZM.HY2Z

Entry Name: Ruins of the Old Hewell Grange

Listing Date: 16 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156219

Location: Tutnall and Cobley, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B97

County: Worcestershire

District: Bromsgrove

Civil Parish: Tutnall and Cobley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Tardebigge

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Alvechurch

Listing Text

SP 06 NW,
10/167

TUTNALL & COBLEY CP,
HEWELL PARK,
Ruins of the old Hewell Grange

GV

II

Country house. 1712, possibly by Francis Smith, remodelled 1815 by Thomas
Cundy, partially demolished 1889. Sandstone ashlar and some brick. Main
(north) front survives, and a little of the other walls. North front:
large portico has a pediment with Plymouth arms supported on six Corinthian
columns (four to front); this is Cundy's addition to a facade of 2 + 5 + 2
windows, the divisions defined by Doric pilasters; the windows have moulded
architraves and cornice. The house was rendered roofless by a firework
display in honour of the Shah of Persia in July 1889. It was set in grounds
by Humphry Repton, altered when the new house was built. (Howard Colvin,
A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840 (1978), pp. 245, 752;
Thomas Nash, History of Worcestershire (1782), vol. 2, p. 403; W. S. Brassington,
Historic Worcestershire (1894), p. 280).


Listing NGR: SP0087069021

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.