History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Laurence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirby Misperton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2057 / 54°12'20"N

Longitude: -0.8068 / 0°48'24"W

OS Eastings: 477923

OS Northings: 479545

OS Grid: SE779795

Mapcode National: GBR QMTT.33

Mapcode Global: WHFB2.LK05

Entry Name: Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329280

Location: Kirby Misperton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Kirby Misperton

Built-Up Area: Kirby Misperton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirby Misperton St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kirby Misperton

Listing Text

KIRBY MISPERTON VILLAGE
SE 77 NE
7/18 Church of St Laurence
10.11.53

GV II *

Church. C14 nave, south aisle, vestry and tower lower stage; porch and
belfry rebuilt c1838; chancel rebuilt in 1875, by C Hodgson Fowler.
Sandstone ashlar incorporating fragments of C10 carved stone; stone flag
roof. West tower; 4-bay nave, south aisle and south porch; chancel and
vestry. 2-stage tower has diagonal offset buttresses. 2-light west window
with chamfered mullion beneath flat hoodmould. Pointed louvred bell
openings paired beneath round arches in square-headed surrounds. Raised
string courses to belfry and beneath embattled parapet with crocketed
pinnacles. Wrought-iron weather-vane. South aisle west window of 3 cusped
lights with panel tracery beneath segmental arch. Embattled porch has
pointed opening with hoodmould. Hollow-chamfered pointed south doorway
beneath hoodmould contains nail-studded sunk-panelled door. Embattled south
aisle has diagonal and intermediate offset buttresses, and 3 square-headed
windows of paired cusped lights beneath panel tracery. East window repeats
that to west. Nave north side has 3 restored Perpendicular-style windows
and moulded eaves cornice. Windows in buttressed chancel south side
reproduce those in south aisle. Moulded eaves cornice over band of carved
rosettes. Gabled vestry projects on north side. Pointed door with
hoodmould in gable end. Window in west return of 2 cusped lights in square-
headed opening; similar window of 3 lights in east return. Buttressed east
end has pointed 3-light window beneath hoodmould. Interior: pointed tower
arch altered and closed by screen. South arcade of double-chamfered arches
dying into octagonal piers without capitals. 2-centred tower arch of 2
orders, the inner on half-octagonal responds. Octagonal font on C19
pedestal.


Listing NGR: SE7792379545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.