History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holt Cottage scalby Holt the Holt

A Grade II Listed Building in Newby and Scalby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3004 / 54°18'1"N

Longitude: -0.4462 / 0°26'46"W

OS Eastings: 501209

OS Northings: 490530

OS Grid: TA012905

Mapcode National: GBR TLBQ.56

Mapcode Global: WHGC0.35RL

Entry Name: Holt Cottage scalby Holt the Holt

Listing Date: 26 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168006

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326906

Location: Newby and Scalby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Newby and Scalby

Built-Up Area: Scarborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scalby St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Burniston

Listing Text

TA 09 SW SCALBY HIGH STREET
(south side)

5/38 No 3 (Holt Cottage),
No 5 (The Holt), No 7
(Scalby Holt)
-

- II

House, now 3 dwellings. 1882, subdivided in 1950. Stone plinth; ground
floor to front rendered, brick to rear; upper walls tile-hung to front,
with timber-framed centre bay; timber-framed to rear. Ashlar stone
dressings to corners and window openings. Tiled roof. Brick stacks.
Domestic Revival style. Street front: 2 storeys, with irregular
fenestration. The centre and outer bays break forward. Centre bay
contains panelled oak double doors in shallow ogee-arched moulded door
frame of stone with foliage-carved spandrels. To right of door, 2-light
mullion and transom window. Above the door, jettied bay on carved
brackets with 3-light casement under pointed gable with plain
bargeboards. Single-light casement under bracketed canopy to right.
Outer bay to right has 2-storey stone canted bay, with casements, under
hipped roof. Other ground floor windows are cavetto-moulded mullion and
transom, those in recessed bays with tiled pent canopies. Upper windows
are casements. All windows have square-paned leaded lights. Terra-
cotta string course beneath tile-hung upper storey. Overhanging
bracketed eaves to irregular, steeply-pitched, hipped and gabled roof.
Centre gable is finished with a timber finial, and the canted bay roof
is surmounted by a terracotta-dragon. Panelled end stacks, and to left
of centre gable. Garden front: 2 storeys and attic, with irregular
fenestration. Central entrance is similar to that on street front with
recessed half-glazed double doors, and tiled canopy on carved brackets
Second door in glazed porch in the angle with the set-back bay to right.
To left of main entrance, 2-storey canted bay with decorative framing
between ground and first floor windows, and gable attic. To right of
door, paired casements in stone surround with king mullion. All ground
and first floor windows are casements. The upper floor is jettied on
carved brackets. Overhanging bracketed eaves. Timber-framed, jettied
gables to left and right with dormer between, all richly carved with
foliage and fruit, and finished with finials. Steeply-pitched,
irregular roof with panelled extruded end stack to left. The bressummer
to left gable carries the date and the monogram TAC, recording the
building of the house for the family of Thomas Cooke "one of the
foremost telescope-makers of C19" (Feinstein). Interior: No 7 includes
the drawing-room of the original house.Classical-style carved timber house. Classical-style carved timber
fireplace painted white with fluted Ionic pilasters and entablature.
Paired pilasters of the same Order enriched, on tall panelled pedestals
frame an alcove and the bay window and carry an entablature which
encases the room. Further moulded cornice to ceiling. The hall has oak
square panelling, and carved fireplace and staircase. A carved lion on
tile newel post bears a shield with the date 1882. Source: C H Feinstein
(ed), York 1831 - 1981: 150 Years of Scientific Endeavour and Social
Change, 1981, p 40.


Listing NGR: TA0120990530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.