History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grimston Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grimston, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8647 / 53°51'52"N

Longitude: -1.2436 / 1°14'37"W

OS Eastings: 449837

OS Northings: 441208

OS Grid: SE498412

Mapcode National: GBR MRRR.KC

Mapcode Global: WHDBG.V4Z2

Entry Name: Grimston Park

Listing Date: 4 July 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326415

Location: Grimston, Selby, North Yorkshire, LS24

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Grimston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Wharfe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Tadcaster

Listing Text

GRIMSTON GRIMSTON PARK ESTATE
SE 44 SE
3/31 Grimston Park
4.7.52
GV II*
Small country house now several dwellings. Probably early C18 core with
rebuilding of c1840 by Decimus Burton for second Lord Howden and c1850 for
Lord Londesborough with later alterations including those of late C20;
'RESTAURI MDCCCXL' on balustrade. Tadcaster limestone ashlar with Welsh
slate and cast-tile roof. Main block of 2 storeys and 7 bays with
projecting portico. 3 storey, single bay tower and single-storey, 5-bay
loggia (formerly conservatory) to right. To each side of main range an
entrance lodge with 4-bay, single-storey curved walls adjoining, that to
left screening service buildings. Adjoining main range to left a 2-lower-
storey, 6-bay range of which the centre 2 bays break forward. Clock tower
to left. Main range: ramps to central entrance have curved walls
terminating in cast-iron lamp standards. Ionic tetrastyle portico with
frieze and cornice contains double, part-glazed doors within architrave
surmounted by medallion of draped female figure. To either side a tall,
narrow 4-pane sash with apron within architrave. Otherwise ground-floor
windows are 8-pane sashes with aprons within architraves under cornices with
console brackets. First floor: central Venetian window with 12-pane sash to
centre and 4-pane sashes to sides within architrave and with cornice and
central pediment on acanthus consoles. Otherwise 12-pane sashes within
architraves with cornices. Dentilled cornice. Low balustraded parapet
surmounted by central carved coat of arms, now eroded, and urns. Tower has
12-pane sashes to first 2 stages within architraves and with moulded sills
on brackets, that to second stage has pediment on consoles. Dentil cornice.
To third stage, 3 rounded-headed windows in architrave to each face.
Modillion cornice. Peaked roof surmounted by ornamental finial. Loggia has
pilasters with frieze and cornice. Lodges have 6-panel doors within
architraves with cornice and pediment on acanthus consoles. Full-height
pilasters to angles support frieze, cornice and blocking course with urns at
angles. Adjoining walls have rusticated plinth, further moulded plinth
supporting pilasters which articulate each bay, surmounted by urns.
Otherwise plain walls to right, those to left containing 4-pane sashes.
Cornice. Low parapet. Range to left has mainly 12-pane sashes under flat
arches or within pilastered architraves. Frieze, dentil cornice,
balustrade. Clock tower has clock faces inserted into round-arched
openings, frieze, modillion cornice, peaked roof surmounted by weather vane.
Ridge, end and roof stacks. Garden front has hexastyle Ionic portico in
antis and cornice, and balcony to first floor with slender columns
supporting hood. Interior contains good C19 decoration and elements from
C18 house including dog-leg staircase with rod-on-vase balusters. Entrance
hall has 4 Doric columns. Service staircase has column-on-vase balusters.
Panelled library. A number of rooms have decorative panelling and ornately
painted ceilings and good fireplaces. Remains of blue Chinese wallpaper.
Good cornices. 6-panel doors. Panelled shutters. Hussey C, English
Country Houses, Late Georgian, 1800 - 1840, 1958, pp 230-238. Pevsner N,
Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 227.


Listing NGR: SE4983741208

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.