History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of Ease

A Grade II Listed Building in Coneysthorpe, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1337 / 54°8'1"N

Longitude: -0.9117 / 0°54'42"W

OS Eastings: 471205

OS Northings: 471418

OS Grid: SE712714

Mapcode National: GBR QN2M.DY

Mapcode Global: WHFBD.ZC0D

Entry Name: Chapel of Ease

Listing Date: 25 January 1954

Last Amended: 22 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168030

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328969

Location: Coneysthorpe, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO60

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Coneysthorpe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Barton-le-Street St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Terrington

Listing Text

CONEYSTHOPRE THE GREEN
SE 77 SW
(north end)
6/13 Chapel of Ease
(formerly listed as
25.1.54 Chapel)
GV II
Chapel. 1835 on cornice with furnishings of 1894 by Temple Moore. Tooled
limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roof. 3-bay continuous nave and chancel
with north vestry. Plinth. Quoins. West end: 6-fielded-panel double doors
within weathered moulded architrave with consoles supporting hood. Moulded
cornice bearing datestone and pediment. Bell turret to apex has round-
arched opening to each side with keystones and imposts with domed roof
surmounted by ball finial and weather-vane. South side has 24-pane sashes
in moulded architraves with hoods. Moulded cornice. North side has vestry
to third bay with 16-pane sash under wedge lintel with keystone to east end.
East end has 24-pane sash with stone sill and tooled wedge lintel with
keystone. Weathered moulded cornice and pediment with cross at apex.
Interior retains 1894 fittings - including pews, dado, wooden lecturn, bulb
on inverted bulb altar rail and painted Arts and Crafts reredos. Octagonal
font. Otherwise plain. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: The North Riding, 1966.


Listing NGR: SE7120871417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.