This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7046 / 51°42'16"N
Longitude: 0.2477 / 0°14'51"E
OS Eastings: 555413
OS Northings: 203041
OS Grid: TL554030
Mapcode National: GBR MGZ.3FM
Mapcode Global: VHHMP.7FT3
Entry Name: Castle House
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117764
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 5502 ONGAR CASTLE STREET
8/49 Castle House
House, sometime Manor House of Chipping Ongar Manor. Cl6 origin altered c.1840.
Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tile roof with 3 symmetrical feature
gables. 2 storeys and attics. 3 window range of 3 light casements. Moulded
band over ground floor windows. Drip hoods to ground floor windows and central
door, the latter hood with carved face stops. Double doors of 12 panels with
"Tudor Arch" head, approached by 4 steps. Single storey crenellated extensions
to right and left. Red brick chimney stack to left and plastered chimney stack
to right. Internal panelled shutters to windows. Cl6 tie beams in attics and
Cl6/Cl7 panelling in some rooms. Early Cl9 it was the home of Congregational
Minister Isaac Taylor, whose daughter Jane wrote many childrens poems, including
"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." Moated and motte and Bailey Site.
Listing NGR: TL5541303041
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings