History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gayton Le Wold, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3465 / 53°20'47"N

Longitude: -0.1539 / 0°9'14"W

OS Eastings: 522992

OS Northings: 384876

OS Grid: TF229848

Mapcode National: GBR WYCR.G3

Mapcode Global: WHHJX.L4XV

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195276

Location: Gayton Le Wold, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Gayton le Wold

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Asterby Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Benniworth

Listing Text

GAYTON LE WOLD BISCATHORPE
TF 28 SW
9/24 Church of
St. Helen
9.3.67
II*

Parish church. 1847 by W. A. Nicholson of Lincoln in a fanciful
Gothic style. Lined stucco, ashlar dressings, slate roofs.
Western tower, nave and chancel. The 2 stage tower has octagonal
belfry and spire. The tower has moulded plinth, gabled, stepped,
set back buttresses terminating in an embattled and 8 pinnacled
parapet. The belfry has 8 trefoil headed lights separated by
narrow buttresses. Above is a further embattled and 8 pinnacled
parapet with a short recessed panelled and ribbed spire. In the
south and north walls to upper stage of tower are single lancets.
The west door has traceried panels and is set in a continuous
deeply concave moulded surround. Above is a quatrefoil light in
a circular moulded frame. The side walls to the nave have set
back and mid wall buttresses gabled and decorated with grotesque
heads. There is a parapet with trefoil piercing surmounted by
angle and mid wall pinnacles. To both sides are 2 pairs of
trefoil headed windows. The chancel has a parapet with pierced
zigzag motif filled with trilobes. The east window is of 3
cusped headed lights with panel tracery. All windows have
concave moulded hoods and portrait human head label stops.
Interior. The pointed tower and chancel arches have angle
shafts, moulded heads and hoods and floriate label stops. Rear
arches to windows are all hooded with floriate stops. The east
window has C19 stained glass with a reused centre piece of The
Deposition. The ceilings are in timber ribbed panels with
plaster bosses. All fittings are C19 and C20 including handsome
poppy head benches, panelled pulpit and the small salt glazed
stoneware Gothic style font inscribed St. Mary Mag. Oxon. This
stands on a C20 base which matches the unfortunate altar. The
Church stands in Biscathorpe Park beside the site of the deserted
medieval village.


Listing NGR: TF2299284876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.