History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Black Bull

A Grade II Listed Building in North Witham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7809 / 52°46'51"N

Longitude: -0.6105 / 0°36'37"W

OS Eastings: 493818

OS Northings: 321269

OS Grid: SK938212

Mapcode National: GBR DRQ.NGM

Mapcode Global: WHGL8.LCHG

Entry Name: The Old Black Bull

Listing Date: 19 February 1952

Last Amended: 9 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193360

Location: North Witham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: North Witham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: North Witham

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
North Witham

Listing Text

NORTH WITHAM LOBTHORPE LANE
SK 92 SW
(north side)
8/121 The Old Black Bull
19.2.52 (formerly listed
as Bull Farmhouse)
II
Former coaching inn, now house. c.1731 with late C18 alterations
and c.1800 extension. Red brick with ashlar quoins and
dressings, coursed limestone rubble to rear, with ashlar
dressings. Mansard slate roofs with raised stone coped gables,
single gable and 2 ridge red brick stacks. Parallel ranges plan.
2 storey with attics, 6 bay front, first floor band, rusticated
quoins, moulded eaves course. Off-centre panelled door with
Gothick overlight in moulded stone architrave, pulvinated frieze
and cornice flanked by pairs of windows, with beyond, to the
right, a further panelled door with plain overlight. To first
floor are 5 windows and to right a single glazing bar sash having
ashlar lintel with keyblock. All other windows are plain sashes
with serpentine lintels and incised keyblocks. Between second
and third windows is an ashlar sundial. In the roof are 5 flat
dormers with plain sashes and leaded cheeks. Rear range is in
stone and added c.1800. Interior central room contains dado
panelling and corner cupboard with semi-circular headed double
door and fluted key. Room on left has Adam style fireplace with
early C18 eared stone surround. Dogleg staircase with 2 turned
and knopped balusters per tread and carved string. Cribb the
boxer stayed here the night before the last bare fisted fight in
this country, between Cribb and Molyneaux at the Thistleton Gap.


Listing NGR: SK9381821269

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.