This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8236 / 52°49'24"N
Longitude: -0.6733 / 0°40'23"W
OS Eastings: 489494
OS Northings: 325942
OS Grid: SK894259
Mapcode National: GBR DR1.YCF
Mapcode Global: WHGL1.M9L6
Entry Name: The Abbey
Listing Date: 19 February 1952
Last Amended: 9 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168261
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193366
Location: Skillington, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG33
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Skillington
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Skillington St James
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SKILLINGTON CHURCH STREET
SK 82 NW
5/125 The Abbey
19.2.52 (previously listed
as Skillington Manor House)
Incorrectly shown on OS map as Manor House. House. 1637.
Extended and altered C19, C20. Squared limestone rubble with
ashlar quoins and dressings. Plain tiled roof with stone coped
gables having elaborate stepped pinnacles, probably added C19.
Cross plan. 2 storey with garret, 5 bay front. The left hand 2
bays are C19. The left hand end bay and second bay from right
are advanced and separately gabled. In the angle is a C20
panelled door with overlight. To the left a C19 3 light window
with cornice and a 4 light C19 window. In the advanced bay a C19
3 light mullioned window and beyond a further C19 2 light window.
To first floor are 3 three light windows and over the door is an
original 2 light window. In the gables are single 3 light
windows, and above is a datestone in ashlar with raised letter
carving "WD MD ANO DNI 1637". All windows have ovolo moulded
mullions and cornices. Interior has fine C17 dogleg stair,
partly reset, 2 flights, with panelled newels with ball finials,
moulded handrail, large bobbin balusters. In the right hand
bedroom a deeply moulded beam with elaborate strapwork stops. A
further 2 beams in the rear wing have large ogee and triangular
plaque stops. The roof is clasped purlin pegged oak
construction. The house stands on an earlier moated site.
Listing NGR: SK8949425942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings