History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Comfort House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bradninch, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.8286 / 50°49'42"N

Longitude: -3.4206 / 3°25'14"W

OS Eastings: 300044

OS Northings: 104187

OS Grid: ST000041

Mapcode National: GBR LL.X58B

Mapcode Global: FRA 36QX.36D

Entry Name: Comfort House

Listing Date: 5 April 1966

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168358

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95220

Location: Bradninch, Mid Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Bradninch

Built-Up Area: Bradninch

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bradninch St Disen

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

ST 0004
12/28 NO. 52 (Comfort House)
Substantial house. C15, enlarged and remodelled, 1681, for Isack Watts, wool
merchant, and his wife Mary. Cob, stone plinth, plastered, under wheat reed
thatched roof, hipped to right-hand end (and adjoining no. 50, Fore Street q.v., to
left-hand side). Formerly a 3-room, through-passage plan, the higher end (with
medieval smoke-blackened roof) to the right of the passage; the lower-end was
formerly a single unit but enlarged, with the addition of a rear wing in 1681,
along with the addition of a 2 storeyed central front porch and complete
refenestration. Right-hand end stack heats parlour; exterior rear lateral stack
heats hall; a further stack stands forward of the junction of the rear wing and
main range roof ridges. All have brick shafts and some of the brickwork looks C17.
2 storeys throughout.
Front: symmetrical, and to all appearances the work of 1681 (date and initials IW,
MW on porch). 4-window range with central porch. Porch, with gabled-end thatched
roof, bargeboarded, pendant in centre, and boarded gable (all C19); one 2-light
casement window above; open below with original chamfered bressumer resting on C20
circular posts. All the windows of the main range have 2 horizontal sliding 9-pane
sashes; those on the first floor are original and retain their crown glass; those
on the ground floor are careful C20 replicas. Heavy surrounds to all.
Rear: One single and one 3-light C20 casement windows with glazing bars above, C20
lean-to extensions below. Long lower-end wing; 3 casement windows to upper floor :
one of 2 lights with 8 leaded panes to one light, 4 to the other; one of 4 lights,
15 panes per light, the outer lights fixed; another of 2 lights, 3 panes per
light. Ground-floor with 2 doors and one 2-light window; one 2, and two 3-light
windows to end of wing, and remains of former end stack.
Interior: Hall with intersecting beams forming a grid of 4 squares, the beams with
combined cyma recta and concave moulding (damaged) and run-out stops; C18 semi-
circular headed ribbed recess with moulded surround; panelled internal shutters; 2
early-C18 wide fielded panel doors, one opening onto staircase with C18 (or
possibly earlier) treads and risers. Small chamfered cross beam to parlour. Room
to left of passage with 1 axial beam with cyma reversa moulding and run-out stops
with bar. C18 scratch moulded window-recess surround, and panelled door from
Roof: 6 bays; 3-bay medieval Hall with passage) and 1-bay parlour all with evidence
of smoke-blackening; 1 medieval truss has been replaced in the C17, principals
crossed and morticed at apex. Truss above passage (possibly an upper cruck),
lightly sooted to lower end, more heavily to upper, formerly closed, principals
with cranked collar, arched braces, yoke, side pegged and morticed, with small V-
notch for ridge piece; neighbouring truss of identical construction but with arched
brace missing, and never closed. Truss between hall and parlour, formerly closed,
with cranked collar, the blades simply crossed, morticed and side-pegged. Rafters
and much battening sooted over hall; ridge-piece lightly sooted over parlour. 1
C17 lower-end truss, principals crossed, halved and pegged at apex.

Listing NGR: ST0004404187

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.