History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hazeleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7034 / 51°42'12"N

Longitude: 0.6346 / 0°38'4"E

OS Eastings: 582149

OS Northings: 203806

OS Grid: TL821038

Mapcode National: GBR QMG.58K

Mapcode Global: VHJKB.YGC0

Entry Name: Mill House

Listing Date: 30 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168361

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117379

Location: Hazeleigh, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Hazeleigh

Built-Up Area: Woodham Mortimer

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Woodham Mortimer with Hazeleigh

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Mortimer

Listing Text

HAZELEIGH BURNHAM ROAD
TL 80 SW
(north side)
1/21 Mill House
­ II
House. C18. Timber framed, roughcast rendered and weatherboarded, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing SE, with central stack forming a
lobby-entrance. 2-bay extension to right with single-storey extension beyond,
c.1950. 2-storey flat-roofed extension to rear, and single-storey lean-to
extension in rear left angle, C20. One storey with attics. 4 C20 casements,
and 4 more in hipped dormers. Plain boarded door at front of C20 hipped porch.
Gambrel roof, half-hipped at both ends. Left elevation (towards Burnham Road),
2 C20 casements on ground floor, one on first floor. Chamfered axial beams with
lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of vertical section. 2 large wood-burning
hearths, reduced for coal grates. Formerly associated with a post mill which
stood immediately to the N, first recorded c.1724. In 1779 it had a
timber-framed and thatched roundhouse, 2 pairs of stones, a flour dresser, and
an adjoining horse mill. It was blown down in 1892. (K.T. Farries, Essex
Windmills, Millers and Millwrights, IV, 44-5).


Listing NGR: TL8214903806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.