History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hulls Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Sible Hedingham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9681 / 51°58'5"N

Longitude: 0.6083 / 0°36'29"E

OS Eastings: 579277

OS Northings: 233167

OS Grid: TL792331

Mapcode National: GBR QJ4.JMQ

Mapcode Global: VHJHZ.HSGN

Entry Name: Hulls Mill

Listing Date: 19 July 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168364

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114314

Location: Sible Hedingham, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Sible Hedingham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Sible Hedingham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Sible Hedingham

Listing Text

TL 73 SE GREAT MAPLESTEAD HULLS MILL ROAD
3/94 Hulls Mill

GV II

Watermill. C18/C19 with adjoining building, converted into a dwelling during
the 1960's. Mainly timber framed & weatherboarded. Ground floor of painted
brick. Grey slate roof. 3 storeys & loft with central gabled lucam. 5 window
range of small paned horizontal sliding sashes to second floor. 4 range of
small paned vertically sliding sashes to first floor with central vertically
boarded door. 4 ranges of mainly small paned vertically sliding sashes with
vertically boarded stable door to right. 3 gables to rear. Left range of 2
storeys with flat roofed C20 porch to left return. Weatherboarded with painted
brick base. Grey slate roof. 4 window range of small paned horizontal sliding
sashes to first floor. 2 range of round headed small paned windows to ground
floor. A mill has stood on this site since 1086. It was part of the Lord
Bourchiers endowment to Bourchier Chantry Halstead until about 1545 when Edward
VI granted it to William Parr. Records follow the history through until
S.P.A.B. 1918 indicate the original wooden wheel was removed and a water turbine
installed. This was replaced by an oil engine which drove 3 pairs of stones.
Possibly 6 were originally driven. It was worked from 1930-1950 by Hovis Ltd,
the last commercial operators,and then converted into a dwelling.


Listing NGR: TL7927733167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.