This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.741 / 51°44'27"N
Longitude: 0.2253 / 0°13'31"E
OS Eastings: 553742
OS Northings: 207038
OS Grid: TL537070
Mapcode National: GBR MGC.XF2
Mapcode Global: VHHMG.VHHQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168371
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118459
Location: Moreton, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Moreton
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Moreton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 50 NW MORETON CHURCH ROAD
4/27 (North side)
20.2.67 Church of St. Mary the
Parish church. C13, C15 and late C18. Flint rubble with limestone and clunch
dressings. Red brick tower and red plain tile roofs. Early C13 nave, has on
north wall, late C15 window with moulded jambs, label and 2 cinquefoiled lights
under a segmental pointed head, and 2 early C13 lancets. North door is of 1868.
South wall has a C18 window, an early C13 lancet and a C15 window of 2 lights,
square headed with label. C18, south door. West wall has C18 door to tower
and inscription recording rebuilding tower in 1787. Roof has chamfered
tiebeams, with octagonal crownposts, braced to ties. Mid C13 Chancel, has 3
lancets in east wall. Two of the C13 and one of 1868. North wall has 2 C13
lancets. South wall has one window of 1868 in earlier opening and one late
C15 window with one cinquefoiled light in square head. No structural division
between nave and chancel. C15 seven cant roof with moulded tiebeams. C15
south porch, with braced tie beam, but was extensively restored in 1868. C19
north vestry. Red brick west tower in flemish bond built in 1787. Late C12
font, of purbeck marble with square bowl, and ornament to sides of fleur-de-lys,
crescent disc and whorls. Cylindrical stem with four detached angle shafts.
Circa 1600 carved panels and moulded top, incorporated in C19 pulpit.
Listing NGR: TL5374207038
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings