History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Broomhills

A Grade II Listed Building in Stambridge, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5804 / 51°34'49"N

Longitude: 0.7244 / 0°43'27"E

OS Eastings: 588858

OS Northings: 190356

OS Grid: TQ888903

Mapcode National: GBR QNY.XLK

Mapcode Global: VHKHF.HJTT

Entry Name: Broomhills

Listing Date: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 123277

Location: Stambridge, Rochford, Essex, SS4

County: Essex

District: Rochford

Civil Parish: Stambridge

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stambridge

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rochford

Listing Text

STAMBRIDGE
OFF STAMBRIDGE ROAD
TQ 89 SE
(south side)
Broomhills
6/296
II
GV
House. C18 with late C19/early C20 alterations and additions. Red brick.
Double range red plain tiled roofs. End chimney stacks to front range, off
centre rear range stack. Parapet and parapet verges. 2 storeys and attics. To
the right is a 2 storey extension with chimney stack to left and a single storey
far right extension with right chimney stack, also rear right flat roofed
extension. 3 window range to original build with 3 segmental headed dormers,
left ground floor bay. Various small paned casements and vertically sliding
sashes, some tripartite. Central flat headed porch with panelled door, fanlight
over, windows to side walls. Single first floor casement to right range and
large ground floor bay with central French windows and vertically sliding sashes
to right and left. Similar smaller window to far right extension. The house is
covered with creeper and much detail is obscured. The C18 home of John Harriot,
projector and founder of the Thames River Police. Born in Stambridge 1745 he
joined the Navy as a Midshipman, later joined the Merchant Navy, left his ship
1766 and lived as a member of an American Indian tribe, after this he obtain a
military appointment with the East India Company was wounded and returned to
Essex about 1781. He embanked Rushley Island at great cost, winning a gold medal
from the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts and Sciences for, the
project. Duping the early 1790;s he worked on a scheme for a force of river
police for the Port of London and after various other adventures he and Sir
Patrick Colquhoun were, in 1798, given permission to try out the scheme for the
formation of the Thames River Police which was officially adopted 2 years later.
Harriot was appointed one of the 3 special justices at the Police Office,
Wapping. In 1808 he published his autobiography "Struggles through Life".
William Addison "Essex Worthies" 1973.


Listing NGR: TQ8885890356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.