This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7087 / 51°42'31"N
Longitude: 0.2436 / 0°14'36"E
OS Eastings: 555110
OS Northings: 203484
OS Grid: TL551034
Mapcode National: GBR MGS.VST
Mapcode Global: VHHMP.59MZ
Entry Name: Ongar Station
Listing Date: 11 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117817
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 5503 ONGAR HIGH STREET (W side)
8/102 Ongar Station
Railway Station and Station Masters House. Formerly Great Eastern Railway.
Opened 1865. Known originally as The Epping Railway and commenced 1858. Red
brick built with gault rusticate quoins, gault dressed windows with segmented
heads and keystones. Gault bands to eaves and below and above ground and first
floor windows. Stone cills throughout, with stone cill supports. Hipped roof
to house, which is 2 storied. Single storey to attached, central ticket office
block and hipped single storey crosswing waiting room, all roofs grey slate.
1:2:2:1 window range of double hung sliding sashes with a single matching window
to first floor of house. Glazed lean-to, infill porch, between house and
crosswing. This porch supported by 4 large cast iron brackets with circles
to spandrels. The central, double doors ½ glazed with a light above. The house
front has a 3 window range of matching double hung sash windows, central 4 panel
door with light over, all features match the Station frontage. Internally all
original features remain including panelled walls with 6 pilaster strips,
centrally placed ticket opening. 4 panelled doors with moulded surrounds and
apron to windows. The Platform face has an enclosed, glazed lean-to.
Listing NGR: TL5511003484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings