History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Pattiswick (Redundant)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bradwell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8853 / 51°53'7"N

Longitude: 0.6383 / 0°38'17"E

OS Eastings: 581671

OS Northings: 224041

OS Grid: TL816240

Mapcode National: GBR QK5.L7L

Mapcode Global: VHJJD.0WT2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin, Pattiswick (Redundant)

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168451

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116345

Location: Bradwell, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Bradwell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stisted

Listing Text

BRADWELL CHURCH ROAD, PATTISWICK
TL 82 SW
(east side)
2/15 Church of St. Mary the
21.12.67 Virgin, Pattiswick
(redundant)

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C14, restored 1881-2 by E.J. Dampier. Flint rubble,
partly plastered externally, with dressings of limestone and clunch, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. Nave mid-C13, Chancel early C14, bell-turret C15 and
C19, S porch C16, rebuilt in C19, N vestry and organ-chamber, C19. The Chancel
has an E window which is C19 except for the C14 splays. In the N wall is a C14
doorway with moulded jambs of limestone and 2-centred arch of clunch; further W
is a C19 arch to the organ-chamber. In the S wall are 2 C14 windows, each of 2
pointed lights in a 2-centred head, with chamfered rear-arches; the eastern
window has been completely restored externally. Between the windows is a C14
doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch, much restored. There is no
chancel-arch. The roof of the Chancel is C14, of 14 rafter couples with tenoned
collars and soulaces, and ashlar-pieces, some of which are replaced; the
wallplates are moulded and crenellated. The N vestry has in the E wall a reset
C13 lancet window of which the jambs, sill and head are rebated and chamfered
externally. Reset in the N wall of the organ-chamber is a C14 window uniform
with those in the S wall of the Chancel, restored. The Nave has in the N wall 3
windows, of which the easternmost is uniform with that in the organ-chamber,
restored, and the others are C19. Between the 2 western windows is the C13 N
doorway, with plain jambs and 2-centred arch and a label chamfered above and
below. In the S wall are 3 windows; the easternmost is C19 except for the C14
splays and chamfered rear-arch; the second is C14, of 2 cusped lights with
recessed spandrels in a 2-centred head, the jambs and arch chamfered in 2
orders; the western window is a C13 lancet similar to that in the N vestry.
Between the 2 western windows is the C14 S doorway, with jambs and 2-centred
arch of 2 chamfered orders, partly restored. In the W wall is a C15 window of 3
cinquefoiled lights in a square head, wholly restored externally, with
hollow-moulded jambs and segmental rear-arch, and 2 plain loops. The roof of
the Chancel is early C14, of 21 couples with tenoned collars, soulaces and
ashlar-pieces, with moulded wallplates, and 2 tiebeams; the western tiebeam is
chamfered on the upper arrises, and has an octagonal crownpost with moulded base
and cap and 4-way rising braces. At the western end is an open studded gable,
separating it from the Chancel, incorporating a king-stud (of which the axial
brace has been removed) with straight down-braces trenched into both sides of
the studs. This roof is described and fully illustrated in C.A. Hewett, Church
Carpentry, a Study based on Essex examples, 1982, 16-17, 123. The bell-turret
at the western end rests on a C14 plain tiebeam; the structure is inaccessible,
but C19 purlins visible at the W gable suggest that it has been rebuilt; it has
a short octagonal spire, all weatherboarded. The S porch is of C19 grey brick
with a C16 roof in one bay, with plain principals, butt-purlins, short curved
wind-braces, and 4 common-couples. Fittings. There are 2 piscinae (1) in the E
wall of the Chancel, with moulded jambs and 2-centred head and octofoiled drain,
C14 (2) in the S wall of the Nave, with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head and
sexfoiled drain, C14. There are 3 bells, of which the first is reported to be
by Miles Graye, 1668, and the second by Miles Graye, 1632. There are fragments
of C15-C17 glass in the top lights of the S windows of the Chancel, and the NE
and 2 eastern S windows of the Nave, reset with C19 glass. Floorslabs dated
1381 and 1568 are reported to be present below the N choir stalls, and another
dated 1638 with the name D'Arcy is reported to be concealed behind the organ.
At the time of inspection, July 1986, the pews had been removed pending
conversion of the building to secular use. RCHM (Pattiswick) 1.


Listing NGR: TL8167124041

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.