History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

60 and 61, East Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Colchester, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8903 / 51°53'25"N

Longitude: 0.9168 / 0°55'0"E

OS Eastings: 600807

OS Northings: 225327

OS Grid: TM008253

Mapcode National: GBR SN5.JKW

Mapcode Global: VHKFZ.VR08

Entry Name: 60 and 61, East Street

Listing Date: 19 February 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168530

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116954

Location: Colchester, Essex, CO1

County: Essex

District: Colchester

Town: Colchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Colchester

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Colchester St James and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Colchester

Listing Text

TM 0025 SE COLCHESTER EAST STREET
(North side)
584/7/67
Nos.60 and 61
19.02.1959

GV II


House with shop. Early C17. Rear wing added late C17, divided into two properties probably C18. Rendered and colourwashed timber frame with brick infill; plaintile roofs.
PLAN: hall and shop arrangement facing street, with central dividing passage.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey; 3-window range. Ground floor with 2 plank doors to right separated by one 6/6 horned sash and one 4-paned fixed window. Left part with C19 brick underbuilt jetty pierced by one 4-panelled door and a plate-glass shop display window. Jetty exposed to east, with 2 curved supporting brackets.
First floor fenestration (left to right): one 6/6 unhorned sash, one 9/9 paned horizontally sliding sash; one 8/8 paned sliding sash.
East return with brick ground floor, extending into rear wing. Plank boarding to gable head for advertising signs.
Rear wing with one plank door to ground floor and one 6/6 paned horizontally sliding sash to first floor.
Early C20 brick rear extensions fitted with C20 plate-glass windows and loading doors to each floor.
INTERIOR: ground floor of both opened into large storage or retail spaces. Cruciform bridging beams with tongue stops. Framed passage between the two units. First floors with similar removal of partitions and similar bridging beams. C20 ladder staircase. Chimneypieces and other fittings removed. Roof of front range with principals and one tier of butt purlins. Roof of rear wing with coupled principals.

Listing NGR: TM0079525329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.