History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ewerby and Evedon, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0145 / 53°0'52"N

Longitude: -0.3725 / 0°22'20"W

OS Eastings: 509283

OS Northings: 347594

OS Grid: TF092475

Mapcode National: GBR GRZ.2MS

Mapcode Global: WHGK7.7HWC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168557

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192566

Location: Ewerby and Evedon, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Ewerby and Evedon

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Evedon St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sleaford

Listing Text

EWERBY AND EVEDON EVEDON
TF 04 NE
2/20 Church of St. Mary
1/2/67
G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, aisle demolished 1809,
restored 1898. Limestone ashlar, coursed limestone rubble, lead,
Collyweston and slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry,
south porch. C13 west tower of 2 stages, chamfered plinth,
stepped angle buttresses, hollow moulded string course, embattled
parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. In the north wall a
stone bears a shield inscribed with a cross. In the belfry stage
a pair of louvred chamfered lancets to the south with matching
surround. To the west a large 5 light window of 1898, stepped
lancets to the lower part, geometric tracery above. In the
belfry stage a 2 light window with double chamfered reveals and
chamfered mullion. The north belfry light matches that to the
south. The north nave wall has an offset and contains 2 C19
windows of 2 and 3 lights with cusped tracery. C19 gabled vestry
has a door and cusped Y traceried window to the east. In the
north wall of the chancel is a blocked 2 light window matching
that in the west wall of the nave. C19 east window of 3 lights,
Y traceried with roll moulded ribs. Reset C14 female head to
gable which bears a cross. The chancel south wall has a wide
blocked opening. The nave south wall has a wide blocked C14
pointed archway to vanished south aisle. Wave moulded triple
shafted reveals and head. Gabled C19 south porch with setback
buttresses, chamfered plinth, side benches and double chamfered
rounded outer arch. C16 inner doorway, double chamfered, round
headed, with run out stops to bases of the reveals. Interior: 2
bays of late C13 north arcade remain, quatrefoil quirked and
filleted shafts, annular capitals with nailhead decoration,
double chamfered arches with hollow moulded hoods. To the south
a single C14 arcade bay, wave moulded on the exterior. Late C13
tower arch rests on rounded corbels, pointed and double chamfered
head, a moulded string course runs out from the imposts. C13
chancel arch with engaged filleted shafted reveals with nailhead
decoration matching the north arcade, double chamfered pointed
arch with moulded hood. To left an inserted C14 pointed arched
doorway to roof loft stairs; the upper doorway has a 4 centred
arched head. In the south wall of the chancel, a panel of
miscellaneous sculptures occupies the site of the sedilia. Most
of the pieces are C13 and C14 and include a praying male figure
with seaweed carved background. Fittings: chancel east window
by W. E. Dixon depicts Christ in Majesty attended by SS Peter and
Mark, Archangels and others. The west window is also by Dixon.
C19 octagonal pulpit contains some C18 woodwork. C14 octagonal
font richly carved with cusped blank tracery to the sides and
stem, armorial shields and the initials AR. In the nave a cast
iron tortoise stove inscribed 'Slow but sure combustion'.
Monuments: on the south nave wall a brass plate depicting Sir
Daniell Hardeby, d.1630, kneeling at a prie dieu opposite his
wife and attended by their children, above is a shield of arms.
Another Daniel Hardeby, d.1705, is commemorated by a white marble
wall plaque beneath an escutcheon. In the chancel a scrolled
broken pedimented limestone wall plaque with fluted Doric pillars
to the Rev. Rowland Fox, d.1722, enriched with flowers, cherubs
and an hourglass. Also in the chancel, a Neo Classical wall
tablet to members of the Bailey family including Maria, d.1804, a
gadrooned panel with triglyphs, cornice, paterae and fluted urn.


Listing NGR: TF0928347594

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.