This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2562 / 53°15'22"N
Longitude: 0.1435 / 0°8'36"E
OS Eastings: 543090
OS Northings: 375387
OS Grid: TF430753
Mapcode National: GBR YZFS.VG
Mapcode Global: WHJLL.5FL2
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196087
Location: Rigsby with Ailby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Rigsby with Ailby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Alford St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
RIGSBY WITH AILBY HAUGH ROAD
TF 47 NW (north side)
2/21 Church of
Parish church. 1863 by James Fowler in the Neo-Norman style.
Rock faced limestone with slate roof, decorative ridge tiles.
Nave with western bellcote and porch, apsidal chancel. The west
end has clasping buttresses and 2 moulded strings. The gabled
porch has a latticed design in the gable and a cross fleury. The
roll moulded round headed outer arch has angle shafts with
waterleaf capitals. The plainer inner doorway is similar. Above
the porch is an elaborate octofoil west window, the radiating
spokes with figured capitals, the lights having scalloped heads,
all set in a circular opening with zigzag surround and a carved
beast's head at the top. The projecting sexagonal bellcote with
ashlar spire, has elaborately corbelled base with stiff leaf
foliage and Caernarvon arched openings with mid wall shafts and
scalloped capitals. The nave side walls have plinths, cill bands
with pilasters, head bands and moulded corbelled eaves. 3 round
headed chamfered windows to south side and 2 similar to the
north. The apse is similarly detailed and also has 3 windows.
The vestry on the north side is gabled with a single matching
light. Interior. The walls are of fairfaced yellow brick work
with red brick and red stone bands, ashlar dressings and roll
moulded sill band. The splayed rear arches of the windows are in
alternate red and yellow stripes. The north door to the vestry
is a re-used C12 round headed arch with chamfered imposts. The
chancel arch springs from tapering annular corbels, with square
imposts of stiff leaf design. The roll moulded and filleted arch
has alternating red and yellow voussoirs. In the chancel a reset
aumbry with moulded and pointed head. Behind the altar a tiled
mosaic reredos, with Alpha, Omega and Cross in circles. Minton
tiled floors. Fittings include panelled ashlar pulpit with
foliate columns and scalloped corbels, the wooden furnishings and
altar rail are also in the Neo-Norman style. Good C14 octagonal
font with moulded base, trefoil traceried panels to the bowl.
Monuments. A late Greek Revival wall monument of 1854 to James
Mason, in form of a pedimented panel with acanthus brackets and
the Dove of the Spirit.
Listing NGR: TF4309075387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings