History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Union House

A Grade II Listed Building in Gressenhall, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7148 / 52°42'53"N

Longitude: 0.9212 / 0°55'16"E

OS Eastings: 597414

OS Northings: 317021

OS Grid: TF974170

Mapcode National: GBR SB3.ZNP

Mapcode Global: WHLRY.31Y2

Entry Name: Union House

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Last Amended: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168637

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220765

Location: Gressenhall, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Gressenhall

Built-Up Area: Beetley

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Gressenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Beetley

Listing Text

TF 91 NE GRESSENHALL LITCHAM ROAD
(north west side)

3/18 Union House (formerly
4/12/51 listed as Union Work-
house)

- II

Former workhouse, now museum and offices. 1777. Brick with pantile roofs.
plan main block with a long right-angled adjoining wing forming a courtyard.
Main block. 2 storeys with symmetrical facade flanked by projecting side
wings. 5 bays (not including side wings) with 3 centre bays slightly advanced
and surmounted by a pediment with clockface in tympanum. Sash windows with
glazing bars beneath skewback arches with cambered soffits. 3 centre bays
with an extra intermediate level of pivot windows with glazing bars. 2 door-
ways, one to each side, with semicircular fanlights. Plain platband and
moulded brick modillion cornice. Sawtooth cornice to rear. Arched bell
cupola on roof ridge. Adjoining wing. 2 storeys. 14 bays to eastern branch
and 12 to southern. 2 square, taller, 3-storey blocks at angle and end of
south wing with pyramidal roofs. Former continuous portico of semicircular
arches now glazed with sash windows and some lunettes. Upper storey of sash
windows with glazing bars. Plain platband. Various later additions to rear
of both sections.


Listing NGR: TF9747916977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.