This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2591 / 53°15'32"N
Longitude: 0.0483 / 0°2'53"E
OS Eastings: 536732
OS Northings: 375520
OS Grid: TF367755
Mapcode National: GBR XZSR.8F
Mapcode Global: WHHKD.QB6W
Entry Name: South Ormsby Hall
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196094
Location: South Ormsby cum Ketsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: South Ormsby cum Ketsby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: South Ormsby St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SOUTH ORMSBY CUM KETSBY off MAIN STREET
TF 37 NE (west side)
1/28 South Ormsby Hall
Country house. C17, but largely rebuilt 1752-5 by James Paine,
for the Massingberd-Mundy family. Enlarged and altered c.1803 by
P. Atkinson, altered C19 and C20. Red brick in Flemish bond,
with ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof with lead dressings
behind brick parapet. 2 storey plus basement, 3 bay entrance
front, with advanced facetted central bay. The original Paine
design had a huge pediment the full width of the front. This was
removed C19 when a third storey was added. This was removed
c.1920 when the present brick parapet was built. Ashlar coped
plinth, first floor cill band and parapet band. Central half
glazeddoor with semi-circular arch covered by ashlar Roman Doric
porch of 1803, with fluted frieze. The sides of the central bay
contain single glazing bar sashes with cornices. It is flanked
by single 3 light tripartite C19 sashes with fluted friezes,
replacing the original Venetian windows, set in the original
semi-circular headed niches. To the first floor are 5 glazing
bar sashes with flat brick arches, 2 are set in the facetted
sides of the central bay. The left hand garden front is of 4
bays, with the right hand bay being canted, with glazing bar
sashes to each side. The remaining 3 bays have tall sashes with
deep cills, sitting on an ashlar plinth course. The basement and
first floor have glazing bar sashes in a similar pattern.
Interior. Entrance hall has classical busts on brackets, flanked
by garlands, dentillated cornice and fireplace on scrolled
brackets with egg and dart mouldings. In the Dining Room is full
height plaster panelling. In the Drawing Room a fine Roccoco
ceiling with centre piece of musical instruments with scrolls of
flowers and garlands. Decorated joinery, marble fireplace with
central rustic panel. Geometric square stair with well, moulded
handrail and beaded moulding, to newels also, large balusters
with fluted tops and heavily moulded knops, carved string. To
landing guilloche surround, semi-circular headed niches and
rectangular insets. Library of 1803 phase with fluted pilasters
and guilloche moulding to shelves, fine grisaille panels above.
Panelled doors, reveals, overdoors and cornices, throughout.
Source: Nattes drawing of 1793 in Banks Collection. Country
Life, March 1969.
Listing NGR: TF3673275520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings