This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9541 / 51°57'14"N
Longitude: 0.4908 / 0°29'26"E
OS Eastings: 571255
OS Northings: 231329
OS Grid: TL712313
Mapcode National: GBR PGV.JWS
Mapcode Global: VHJJ3.G49T
Entry Name: Virgina House and the Stores
Listing Date: 24 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115687
Location: Wethersfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Wethersfield
Built-Up Area: Wethersfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Wethersfield St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 7031-7131 WETHERSFIELD HIGH STREET
5/175 Virginia House and The
House, now house and shop. C.1570, altered in C18 and c.1900. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main range of 4 bays facing
approx. SE, and rear wing of 2 bays at left end, with originally external stack
in rear angle, now enclosed by C18 extension to rear. C17 external stack at
right end of main range. Extension behind right bay, and single-storey lean-to
extension beyond. C18 extension in front of left bay, now forming shop. C19
extension of red brick with slate roof behind left bay, and C20 extension
beyond. The left bay of the main range, with extensions in front and behind it,
now form The Stores; the remainder is Virginia House. 2 storeys and cellar.
The Stores, C19 shopfront with central half-glazed door, early C19 sash of 6
lights above, and hipped roof. Plain bargeboards in left return. Virginia
House, two 2-storey splayed bays of sashes of 2-4-2 lights, c.1900, and central
6-panel door, of which the top panels are glazed. The original building has
jowled posts, close studding with curved braces trenched to the inside chamfered
axial beams with lamb's tongue stops, chamfered joists of horizontal section
with lamb's tongue stops in the 2 middle bays, elsewhere plain, and a crownpost
roof with axial bracing. Large wood-burning hearth on the ground floor with
rebuilt depressed arch, smaller hearth above with original depressed arch,
stripped of plaster. On the first floor of The Stores, wood-burning hearth with
band of ornamental plaster on mantel, with design of shells, foliage, diamonds,
flowers and interlacing. On the first floor of Virginia House, unglazed window
with 2 of 3 diamond mullions, blocked by the C17 external stack, and a complete
range of oak panelled cupboards with 8 cockshead hinges, c.1600, a rare feature.
The front of Virginia House has original frieze windows with moulded mullions
and diamond saddle bars on both floors. The combination of early glazed windows
at the front, an unglazed window at the side, lamb's tongue stops and a
crownpost roof makes the original building finely datable to c.1570. (J.
Nccann, The Introduction of the Lamb's Tongue Stop, Historic Buildings in Essex
2, 1985). RCHM 7.
Listing NGR: TL7125531329
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings