This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2354 / 50°14'7"N
Longitude: -3.6947 / 3°41'40"W
OS Eastings: 279237
OS Northings: 38640
OS Grid: SX792386
Mapcode National: GBR QM.0QJ0
Mapcode Global: FRA 384D.QFT
Entry Name: South Allington House
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100713
Location: Chivelstone, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Chivelstone
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chivelstone St Silvester
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CHIVELSTONE SOUTH ALLINGTON
SX 73 NE
9/18 South Allington House
G. V II
Farmhouse. Circa 1830. Rendered stone walls. Low pitched hipped roof. Rendered
brick axial stacks.
Plan: double depth plan with principal rooms and stairhall at the front, service
rooms and kitchen at the rear.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5 bay front, the outer bays progressively
slightly recessed. The central bay is pedimented and has paired pilasters with a
round arched window at the centre on the 1st floor. The outer bays also have
pilasters at their corners. Windows are 2 and 4-pane circa early C20 sashes.
Portico at centre has fluted columns at the front with square piers flanking them.
C20 part-glazed door behind. Some original 16-pane hornless sashes survive on the
left-hand end wall. Moulded eaves cornice to front, rear elevation has modillion
cornice central pedimented projection on rear wall.
Interior: front part of house apparently refitted in early C20 judging from the
joinery. More original joinery survives in the rear.
Listing NGR: SX7923738640
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings