This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8729 / 51°52'22"N
Longitude: 0.6886 / 0°41'19"E
OS Eastings: 585183
OS Northings: 222783
OS Grid: TL851227
Mapcode National: GBR QKF.DYC
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.W6D2
Entry Name: Padua verona
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Last Amended: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116078
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET
9/47 Nos. 51, 53 (Padua)
2.5.53 and 55 (Verona)
(formerly listed as
Padua and Verona)
House, now 3 houses. Circa 1570, altered in early C19 and C20. Timber framed,
plastered with exposed framing, roofed with handmade red plain tiles and some
slate. 4 bays facing SE with stack behind axis in second bay from left end.
Catslide extensions to rear, roofed with tiles behind no. 55 and with slate
behind no. 53. C20 2-storey extension to rear of no. 51, weatherboarded with
flat roof. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 10+10 lights with
crown glass, and one early C19 butcher's shopfront (no. 55); this has 24 lights,
a moulded sill, and a grill across the top of turned balusters, returning to the
right. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 5+10 lights with crown glass, one C20
replica, and one C20 sash of 6+6 lights. No. 51, 6-panel door, 4 fielded and
moulded, 2 glazed, with flat canopy on scrolled brackets; one stone step. Nos.
53 and 55 each have a plain boarded door. No. 55 has a panel over the door with
a diagonal pattern of vents. No. 5 has a wrought iron bootscraper. Full-
length jetty, underbuilt with exposed nailed studding, with original bressumer
richly carved with grotesque scrolls, foliage and a merchant's mark, mutilated
at the right end. Above the jetty, original close studding with serpentine
bracing trenched into it, partly missing; at the left end a panel of wattle and
daub is exposed behind glass. Moulded eaves cornice. The right return has
exposed close studding with trenched 'Suffolk' bracing above first-floor level,
plastered below. iloulded transverse and axial beams. Joists of horizontal
section with simple roll-moulded arrises. The large wood-burning hearth of no.
53 has been rebuilt. Trenched serpentine bracing in partition walls. No. 53
has an C18 quarter-turn stair with at the top a moulded handrail and turned
balusters; on the first floor an early C19 cast iron grate with medallions in
low relief. Clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing, complete and
unaltered. RCHM 11.
Listing NGR: TL8518322783
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings