This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.977 / 52°58'37"N
Longitude: -0.2952 / 0°17'42"W
OS Eastings: 514564
OS Northings: 343537
OS Grid: TF145435
Mapcode National: GBR GSG.B6F
Mapcode Global: WHHLL.FFNN
Entry Name: Heckington Mill
Listing Date: 23 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192603
Location: Heckington, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Heckington
Built-Up Area: Heckington
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Heckington St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
HECKINGTON HALE ROAD
Tower mill. 1830, repaired 1890. Designed by Michael Ingeldew.
Red brick bitumen painted tapering mill tower, dogtooth eaves
course, ogee wooden cap with ball finial. 5 storeys. To ground
floor are planked double doors covered by a corrugated iron roof
and approached up 6 shallow steps. Above the door a datestone
inscribed MH for Michael Hare, the builder, with the date 1830.
Above are single 2 light sliding plain sashes to each floor, all
with segmental brick heads. Between the first and second floors
is a planked platform supported on cast iron brackets and with a
handrail. The mill retains the 8 sails brought in 1892 by Mr.
Pocklington, then owner of the mill, from Tuxford's Mill at
Boston following damage in a storm in March 1890. Interior
retains brakewheel, wallower and the rest of the driving gear.
The third and fourth floors are both bin floors and on second
floor are the original 3 pairs of stones, with further single
pairs on the first and ground floors. The substantial power
generated by the 8 sails enabled the mill to drive 5 pairs of
stones as well as ancillary machines such as a corn dressed, sack
hoist and feed mixer as well as an adjacent woodworking shop.
This is the only 8 sailed windmill extant in England. Source:
Listing NGR: TF1456443537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings