History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wellvale House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Well, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2393 / 53°14'21"N

Longitude: 0.1665 / 0°9'59"E

OS Eastings: 544680

OS Northings: 373550

OS Grid: TF446735

Mapcode National: GBR YZLZ.VJ

Mapcode Global: WHJLL.JVH2

Entry Name: Wellvale House

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Last Amended: 29 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168883

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196111

Location: Well, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Well

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Well St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Alford

Listing Text

WELL WELLVALE PARK
TF 47 SW
4/45 Wellvale House
(formerly listed
3.2.67 as Well Hall)

G.V. II*

Former small country house in park, now private school. Early
C17, sunstantially remodelled c.1730 for James Bateman, extended
late C18, for Francis Dashwood, partly gutted by fire 1845 and
rebuilt 1925 by Guy Elwes. Red brick in English and Flemish
bonds, ashlar dressings, plain tiled hipped roofs with lead
dressings, 4 ridge brick stacks. 2 storey plus attics,
originally 2:3:2, the centre bays advanced and pedimented, in
front of the left hand 2 bays which are in English bond and part
of the original house. An additional bay, in matching style was
added to the left c.1793. The right hand 2 bays were rebuilt in
1925. Plinth, first floor band, parapet with deeply moulded
ashlar cornice. Half glazed door with fan traceried overlight is
set in Doric porch with triglyph frieze and pediment, reached by
3 semi-circular ashlar steps. To left 4 glazing bar sashes, to
right 3 similar windows. To first floor 6 glazing bar sashes.
All windows have flat brick arches. In the pediment a cartouche
bearing the Bateman Arms. In the roof are 5 glazing bar dormers,
pedimented with lead cheeks. The side front of 3 bays was
rebuilt 1925. The rear elevation shows the advanced C17 wing, in
English bond; the sash windows have clearly been inserted.
Interior. Apart from the diamond set stone flagged floor the
entrance hall and stair date from 1925. The plaster vaulted
passage to the rear of the hall appears to be original along with
the ornate chimney piece in former drawing room, with pulvinated
garlanded frieze with oak leaves and ribbons. A similar smaller
chimney piece with eared surround can be found in the former
Principal Bedroom. Late C18 back stairs with turned balusters,
and dado panelling. The importance of Wellvale House lies in its
park setting and the careful landscape relationship between house
and church. Source: Country Life, 14 December, 1972.


Listing NGR: TF4468073550

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.