This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8381 / 51°50'17"N
Longitude: 0.6101 / 0°36'36"E
OS Eastings: 579918
OS Northings: 218725
OS Grid: TL799187
Mapcode National: GBR QKP.R1V
Mapcode Global: VHJJR.J2D6
Entry Name: Cressing Temple Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1168891
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116395
Location: Cressing, Braintree, Essex, CM77
Civil Parish: Cressing
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
CRESSING WITHAM ROAD
TL 71 NE (east side)
4/71 Cressing Temple
House. Late C16, altered in C18 and C19. Timber framed, plastered and
roughcast, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing SE with
axial stack near middle and external stack at right end. Crosswing at left end,
forming a T-plan, with central stack. Early C19 extension in front angle, with
lean-to roof of slate. 2 C20 gabled extensions to rear, with 2 catslide
extensions. C19 single-storey extension to rear right, forming a lean-to at
right end, of painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with red clay pantiles. 2
storeys. The SW elevation has a 4-window range,of early C20 sashes of 4 lights.
The SE elevation has on the first floor of the crosswing one C19 casement, and
on the first floor of the lean-to to right of it, one early C19 sash of 16
lights. The main range has on the ground floor 5 early C19 sashes of 16 lights
and one C20 reproduction; and on the first floor 4 early c19 sashes of 4 + 8
lights with crown glass. In lean-to, C20 door in early C19 Tuscan portico with
2 columns, 2 pilasters and moulded entablature with panelled soffit. In main
range, C20 door with early C19 simple architrave and canopy. The plaster is
ashlared. Rusticated quoins of plaster on right return only to right of
portico. Interior mainly plastered, little of frame visible except jowled
posts. Axial beams boxed in. Oak panelling of c.1600. Clasped purlin roof.
Bread oven at NE end. This may be the surviving part of a mansion described as
'the Greate House' in records of 1623 and 1669, but reported as a site in 1675
(J.H. Hope, 'The Knights Templars and the excavations at the Cressing Temple,
1978-1981', Essex Journal vol. 2, no. 2, Summer 1986, 31-4). RCHM 3.
Listing NGR: TL7991818724
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings