History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sj Bunting

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8717 / 51°52'18"N

Longitude: 0.6874 / 0°41'14"E

OS Eastings: 585101

OS Northings: 222650

OS Grid: TL851226

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LLT

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V6RZ

Entry Name: Sj Bunting

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168919

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116086

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(south-east side)

9/55 No. 18 (S.J. Bunting),
31.10.66 (formerly listed as
No. 18 (Padlock House)
and shop)


House, now 2 houses and shop. Early C16 or earlier, altered in C19. Timber
framed, plastered with some weatherboarding, roofed with handmade red plain
tiles. Main range facing NW, with stack to rear of left bay, and C16 or earlier
wing to rear. Later wing to rear of right end, and small 2-storey extension
with flat roof between the wings. C19 single-storey extension with slate roof
to rear of left wing. 2 storeys. Ground floor, one C20 bowed oriel, and early
C20 shopfront with two 2-light windows, central half-glazed double doors and
overlight, and moulded fascia. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights.
C20 half-glazed door at left end. Ashlared plaster. The shop is fully lined,
as is the wing to rear of it, but exposed timbers at the front indicate an
underbuilt jetty. In the house to left, chamfered transverse and axial beams,
joists plastered to the soffits. Early C19 straight stair with moulded pine
handrail, turned newels and stick balusters. In the rear left wing, heavy
transverse plain joists of horizontal section, and a blocked stair trap. On
first floor, original floorboards, some exposed studding, and at the rear of the
main range a complete unglazed window with 4 diamond mullions and shutter
groove; chamfered axial beams, joists plastered to the soffits. At the rear of
the left house some studding has been removed for access to the extension;
fragment of C17 moulded door incorporated in wall. C18 2-panel pine door and
hinges. Jowled posts. No access to roof, but exposed rafters at the rear of
the left wing are trenched as for a crownpost roof. The rear of the right wing
is weatherboarded. The house was formerly named Padlock House after a large
trade sign of a padlock displayed at the front, removed when the shop changed
from an ironmonger's to a butcher's in 1985, but in May 1987 still in the
possession of the owner of the left part. Also deeds from 1643. Known as
Plummers in 1576 (G.F. Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 238).
RCHM 24.

Listing NGR: TL8510122641

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.