History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Welney, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5212 / 52°31'16"N

Longitude: 0.2481 / 0°14'52"E

OS Eastings: 552622

OS Northings: 293850

OS Grid: TL526938

Mapcode National: GBR M4X.X4P

Mapcode Global: VHHHM.7WZN

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 6 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221790

Location: Welney, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Welney

Built-Up Area: Welney

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Welney

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Welney

Listing Text

WELNEY MAIN STREET
TL 59 SW
8/47 Church of St Mary the
Virgin

- II*

Parish church. 1848 by J C Buckler. Coursed carstone with ashlar dressings and
slate roof. Continuous nave and chancel. Early English style. Gabled west end.
Arched west door below 2-light window with Plate tracery. Diagonal buttresses
to nave. Nave windows of 2-light Plate tracery with trefoil above trefoiled
lights. Trefoiled south door below lancet. Flat side buttresses. Dentil eaves
course. Gabled bellcote at apex of east nave gable with bell in trefoiled
opening. Chancel side windows of trefoiled lancets (2 to south, one to north).
Three-light Plate traceried east window. Flat east buttresses with modified
stiff leaf decoration. Lean-to vestry to north of chancel : 2 lancets and
trefoiled door. Interior. West gallery on 6 splayed timber posts. Nave roof
of large arched braces to collars, springing from corbels. Two tiers through
purlins. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with engaged columns. Chancel. roof as
nave. 1887 stone reredos in 3 cusped arched bays each with crocketed and finialed
gable. East window glass by T Wilshurst depicting Faith, Hope and Charity.


Listing NGR: TL5262293850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.