History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade I Listed Building in Banham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.4529 / 52°27'10"N

Longitude: 1.0353 / 1°2'7"E

OS Eastings: 606345

OS Northings: 288220

OS Grid: TM063882

Mapcode National: GBR TGW.BKK

Mapcode Global: VHKCB.WLPY

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 16 July 1958

Last Amended: 9 February 1984

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220276

Location: Banham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Banham

Built-Up Area: Banham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Banham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


13/29 Church of St. Mary
the Virgin
16.7.58 (formerly listed as
Church of St. Mary)
Parish church. First half C14. Restored 1865. Flint with ashlar dressings,
lead roofs but plain tiled chancel. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel.
Tower in 3 stages with angle buttresses. 2-light west window with Y tracery.
String courses between stages running below cusped circular ringing chamber
windows on north, south and west. Reduced belfry stage with rebuilt 2-light
Y openings each with agargoyle over apex in low parapet. Thin broached and
leaded octagonal timber spire with gabled lucarne to east. South aisle with
diagonal buttresses and 2-light cusped Y tracery windows under rounded heads,
some retaining head stops to hoods. South east window of 3 lights. Knapped
flint south porch with gabled lead roof and diagonal buttresses enlivened
by ogeed statutory niches. Double chamfered arch with fleurons below niche.
2 2-light reticulated windows east and west, those to south with 2 subsidiary
units. East window of aisle is 3-light C19 reticulated. Low side window
to chancel south in form of arch within gable. 3 2-light C19 reticulated
windows separated by flat buttresses, the central one shorter to accommodate
an early C14 priest's door with undercut mouldings. Diagonal buttresses to
east frame 5-light elaborate C19 window. East gable on kneelers. One flat
buttress and 2 2-light C19 reticulated windows to north chancel. 3-light
north aisle east window with ogee lights and arrangement of mouchettes probably
an accurate restoration or original. North aisle with diagonal corner and
3 flat buttresses with 5 2-light mouchette or reticulated windows. North
door in second bay has continuous mouldings. C19 brick and flint vestry to
north of tower blocks west window. 4 flat-headed 2-light cusped clerestory
windows to north and south. INTERIOR 5 bay arcade of quatrefoil piers with
shafts between foils. Polygonal bases and capitals support double hollow
chamfered arches. Demi-octagonal tower arch responds with polygonal capitals
and triple hollow chamfered arch, now blocked. Chancel arch as nave arcades.
Wave moulded stilted arch opens from north-east nave chapel into chancel under
square hood to side of rood stair arch which has continuous mouldings. Ogeed
trefoil piscina in chapel. C19 sedilia and piscina in chancel. Low effigy
niche in chancel north wall. Chancel roof scissor braced of 1865. Nave roof
is of 7 bays and King post with arched struts and Queen posts to purlins.
East tie beam rod moulded and crenellated. Remainder of ties probably C17
replacements, having sunk quadrant mouldings and stops. Western tie inscribed
TM 1622 IC. Heavy moulded wall plates in 3 orders. Aisle roofs of ties with
strut to purlins, one in south aisle inscribed IW 1802 IL, one in north JCC
1858 WG. Ogeed effigy niche in north-east chapel wave moulded with crocket
and central spandrel decorated with leaf carving. Niche contains wooden
cross-legged effigy of a knight painted imitation of stone of about 1340
normally regarded as representing Sir Hugh Bardolph, but he died in 1203.
C14 octagonal font, plain. Font cover 1864. Pitch-pine pews 1865. Royal
arms of George III on west nave wall. Chancel and parclose screen C19.

Listing NGR: TM0634588220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.