History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

52 and 54, Church Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8727 / 51°52'21"N

Longitude: 0.6889 / 0°41'19"E

OS Eastings: 585199

OS Northings: 222763

OS Grid: TL851227

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.DZJ

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.W6J7

Entry Name: 52 and 54, Church Street

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116098

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET
(south-east side)

9/66 Nos. 52 and 54
31.10.66 (formerly listed as
No. 52 (Oakdene) and
No. 54 (Dorrit))

GV II*

House, now 2 houses. 1565, altered in late C19. Timber framed, plastered with
some exposed framing, with late C19 facade of red and gault brick in Flemish
bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing NW with 2 axial
stacks, and rear wing with one internal stack, forming a T-plan. 2 storeys.
3-window range of late C19 sashes with marginal lights and segmental arches of
gault brick. No. 52, C19 3-panel door, and no. 54, C20 6-panel door, both with
plain overlights and similar arches. 7 flush bands and diaper and cross
patterns of gault bricks; dentilled eaves cornice of gault bricks; the remainder
of the facade is of red brick. Late C19 carved wooden fascia in C16 style, with
grotesque heads, birds and scrolls, initials TC (identified as Thomas Clerke,
recorded in 1567 (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 35), and ANO DNI
1565, probably an accurate copy of a decayed original. The right elevation of
the rear wing has a partly underbuilt jetty with roll-moulded bressumer,
evidence of a former oriel above, and 2 original flank windows. In rear
elevation, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights, on first floor. The main range has
an underbuilt jetty, roll-moulded transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue
stops, joists plastered to the soffits. Exposed studding. At the left end of
no. 52 is a blocked doorway with carved and moulded Tudor doorhead, into what
was formerly the parlour from the originally storeyed hall and above it a
similar doorway into the former solar, with hollow-chamfered Tudor head. To
rear of it is a similar doorway into the rear wing. At right end, wide wood-
burning hearth, the mantel beam having a double-ogee moulding turning down at
the ends, possibly used earlier in a timber-framed chimney; blocked fireplace on
first floor, apparently with a brick depressed arch, c.1600. In front of it an
original closet complete with plain Tudor head and door of 4 moulded wedge-
shaped planks on original strap hinges, a rare feature meriting special care.
Jowled posts. Original ceiling with 2 roll-moulded bridging beams in each bay,
and plain joists of vertical section. On first floor, re-sited C16 linenfold
oak panelling and plain panelling of c.1600. Original floorboards. Storey
heights of approximately 3 metres and 2.50 metres. Original clasped purlin roof
with arched wind-bracing. At the right end the only studding is above the
collar. This house abuts on an earlier house to the right (item 9/19, q.v.),
and therefore requires no studding except where the upper gables are out of
alignment. The left stack is C19. Apart from the altered front elevation this
house retains an exceptionally complete structure, all of one build. The
combination of the late medieval features (roll mouldings and Tudor doorheads)
and the Renaissance lamb's tongue stops confirms the carved date on the fascia.
At the right end part of the ground floor is combined with No. 1 Albert Place,
(item 9/19, q.v.). RCHM 31.


Listing NGR: TL8520422758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.