This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1945 / 51°11'40"N
Longitude: -4.028 / 4°1'40"W
OS Eastings: 258388
OS Northings: 145874
OS Grid: SS583458
Mapcode National: GBR KS.51D4
Mapcode Global: VH4MD.47DM
Entry Name: Stables,courtyard Walls and Gate Piers Immediately East of the Old Rectory
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97055
Location: Combe Martin, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Combe Martin
Built-Up Area: Combe Martin
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combe Martin St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
COMBE MARTIN RECTORY ROAD, Combe Martin
SS 54 NE
1/156 Stables, courtyard walls and
- gate-piers immediately east
of the Old Rectory
Stable and coach house with adjoining courtyard wall and gate-piers. Dated 1846.
Local stone rubble. Steeply pitched slate roof with coped gable ends.
Plan: overall rectangular on plan. Stabling for 5 horses to the right and an
integral coach house to the left with a hay loft over the whole. It faces a
courtyard at the rear of the Old Rectory q.v. which is enclosed by a wall adjoining
the left-hand corner of the coach house with a carriageway through flanked by gate-
Exterior: 2 storeys. The entrance to the stables at the centre with a loft door
above in the central gable; C19 plank doors and lintel with date inscribed. Two 2-
light ovolo-moulded wooden mullion windows to the right and similar but single-light
window to the left of the doorway and the coach house to the extreme left which is
timber-framed above with boarded panels with later pigeon holes. C20 garage doors
in the place of the original coach house doors.
Stone rubble wall adjoining left, enclosing the left side of the stable yard behind
the Old Rectory. The gate-piers in the wall are square on plan and have necking
mould and caps.
Interior of the stables has original low stall partitions, wooden mangers and
troughs lined in lead.
Listing NGR: SS5838845874
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings