This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9142 / 51°54'50"N
Longitude: 0.3248 / 0°19'29"E
OS Eastings: 559991
OS Northings: 226511
OS Grid: TL599265
Mapcode National: GBR NFP.YQY
Mapcode Global: VHHLR.L41Y
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122121
Location: Tilty, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Tilty
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Broxted with Chickney and Tilty and Great and Little Easton
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Church of St Mary
TL 52 NE 4/42 20.2.67
Formerly the "Capella extra portas" of the Cistercian Abbey of St Mary. C13,
with C14, C17 and C19 alterations. Flint rubble with limestone and clunch dressings.
Red plain tiled roof, includes some original C13 tiles on Chancel roof. Nave
is entirely of Circa 1220. South side has external string course. Four splayed
lancets in north wall. North doorway with pointed head and semi-circular rear
arch. Four splayed lancets in south wall. Below the eastern window is the piscina.
South door with pointed head, chamfered jambs and a moulded label. Rear arch
is semi-circular. West wall has 3 splayed lancets. C14 Chancel has east window
of 5-lights, with tracery in 2 centred head, and moulded internal and external
labels, with head stops. Jambs and mullions are moulded and the splays have
shafts with moulded capitals, and bases. East wall has diagonal buttresses,
and a truncated gable with gable cross. Below east window the wall is faced
with flint and stone chequerwork. Internally a moulded sting, forming label
to sedilia. North window of 3-lights, and south window of 2-lights matching
east window. C19 north vestry. Cl7 south porch, timber framed and plastered.
Roof to Chancel C14 of 7 cants, plastered on soffit. Nave roof is late C15 framed
side purlin, formerly arch braced to collar and with moulded wall plates and
one embattled tie beam. C18 bell turret at east end. Brasses, Medeley and Wife
1562, and Danet and wife 1520, Margaret Tuke 1590, Thos Takeley 1470, deMortemer
C13 locker in south wall of nave with 2 centred head. Monuments, Holden 1686,
Elliott early C17. Two cinquefoil headed niches in chancel with gabled, crocketed
and finialed labels and side pinnacles with carved crockets and finials. Nave
has some C13 wall painting on north and south walls. C14 piscina in chancel,
with moulded and shaped jambs, capitals, bases and traceried head with moulded
label and head stop. C13 piscina in nave with moulded 2 centred head moulded
label, mask stops, moulded and shafted jambs with square abaci foliated on inner
side. C18 pulpit with canopy.
Listing NGR: TL5999126511
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings