This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4713 / 52°28'16"N
Longitude: 1.0708 / 1°4'14"E
OS Eastings: 608668
OS Northings: 290364
OS Grid: TM086903
Mapcode National: GBR TGR.1JP
Mapcode Global: VHL8T.H4YT
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 9 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220309
Location: New Buckenham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16
Civil Parish: New Buckenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Buckenham New St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 08 90 NEW BUCKENHAM CHAPEL STREET
12/62 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage, now private house. C15 south range timber framed with wattle and
daub infill and C19 brick skin. North extension 1872 of brick, further north-
east additions 1894. 2 storeys. Central door flanked by one casement and
one sash under segmental arches. 3 sash windows to first floor. Bell based
gabled roof tiled 1949 when thatch removed. West wall has C16 external stack
now enclosed by early C17 stepped gable on moulded brick kneelers, all brick.
4 square C17 window openings, the lower left with casement of early 1980's,
the other C18. One C20 sash window to ground floor left. Range to north
1872. East stepped gable in white glazed brick 1959. Red brick range to
north 1894. Interior of south range. Close studding timbers of heavy scantling
where exposed. Heavy bridging beam with chamfer and tongue stops probably
relocated and C19 joists. Staircase 1980's. This is remains of open hall.
West room retains C17: fireplace and bressummer. Middle rail to stud work
and renewed bridging beam. Original north wall retains 6-light blocked timber
mullioned window with hollow chamfer mouldings, the eastern half now glazed
C20. This below eaves line within large framing panels. Remains of similar
window 3 metres west. 2 pairs of tie beams on large hollow chamfered arched
braces, one brace removed to each tie. Framing to first floor otherwise
intact. Eastern half of roof mostly C19 and C20. West half with renewed
plain crown post, queen stuts. Collars, clasped upper purlins and butt lower
purlins. Probably originally a crown post roof.
Listing NGR: TM0866890364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings