History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Feering, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8407 / 51°50'26"N

Longitude: 0.7078 / 0°42'27"E

OS Eastings: 586633

OS Northings: 219250

OS Grid: TL866192

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.KS0

Mapcode Global: VHKG2.7Z0T

Entry Name: Bridge House

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Last Amended: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116421

Location: Feering, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Feering

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Inworth All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

FEERING FEERING HILL
TL 8619-8719 (south-east side)

8/100 No. 18 (Bridge House)
21.12.67 (formerly listed in one
item with 'Tacoma', now
No. 20 (Timbers) to the
NE)

GV II

House. C16, altered in C17 and C18. Timber framed, plastered with some
weatherboarding, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4 bays aligned NW-SE,
with entrance elevation at NW end. Axial stack of c.1600 in second bay from SE
end, and late C17 stair tower to NE of it. C20 extension to SE of stair tower.
2 storeys and attics. NW elevation (to Feering Hill), 2-window range of
C18/early C19 sashes of 12 lights, and one of 4 + 4 lights on first floor. Some
crown glass. 6-panel door at left end of elevation, the top 2 panels glazed, in
eared doorcase with pediment head. Wooden dentilled eaves cornice. Roof
hipped. The NE elevation of the stair tower is partly weatherboarded, with an
C18 transomed 3-light window with wrought iron casement and rectangular leading.
The 4-bay range was built in the C16 as a crosswing to an earlier hall house to
the NE, now no. 18 (Timbers), with a long-jetty entrance elevation to the SW, at
that time facing the road bridge over the River Blackwater. A bridge was built
on the present line of Feering Hill c.1780, and the re-styling of the house to
face Feering Hill probably dates from that time. The jetty is now underbuilt.
Moulded axial and transverse beams throughout. Hollow-chamfered joists of
horizontal section with runout stops in the 2 NW bays, plain joists of
horizontal section in the SE bay. 2 wood-burning hearths back to back of 0.33
metre brickwork, both mantel beams replaced. Late CL7 open-well stair of high
quality, with moulded strings and handrails and twist-turned balusters, meriting
special care.


Listing NGR: TL8663319250

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.