This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4916 / 52°29'29"N
Longitude: 1.0492 / 1°2'57"E
OS Eastings: 607104
OS Northings: 292556
OS Grid: TM071925
Mapcode National: GBR TGB.N38
Mapcode Global: VHL8M.4MJT
Entry Name: Abbey Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220343
Location: Old Buckenham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR17
Civil Parish: Old Buckenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Buckenham Old All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 09 SE OLD BUCKENHAM ABBEY ROAD
4/96 Abbey Farmhouse
Farmhouse. c.1550-60 and C18. Timber framed with wattle and daub infill in
north range, reused stone and brick in east range and plain tiled roofs,
pantiled to rear. L plan. North range, 2 storeys. 4-centred timber arch
left of centre the lintel replaced 1973. Brick ground floor with renewed
casement windows. Jettied first floor with close studding. Continuous range
of timber mullioned windows interrupted by 5 groups of taller mullioned windows
under eaves. Mullions moulded with a hollow chamfer between 2 rolls on each
facet of broadly diamond section. Gabled roof. West gable of brick with
octagonal corner turrets terminating in conical pinnacles above parapet line.
Internal gable stack with 2 circular flues, one with spiral decoration the
other chevron in rubbed brick, on bell-based plinth. Rear of north range
similar but with later extensions to east. East range 2 storeys in 4 bays.
2 north bays of reused stone from St. Augustine's Priory of same date as north
range, now with C20 door, 4-light cross casement left and 2 2-light mullioned
windows to first floor all in C18 openings. Lower windows and door in
range under segmental arches. Southern bays early C18 of colourwashed brick.
2 3-light ground floor casements and 2 2-light casements above. Gabled roof.
South gable parapet on kneelers. 2 rebuit ridge stacks. Rear of east range
dominated by two stepped external stacks with rebuilt shafts and gabled stair
turret. Some reused stonework in north bays and 2 early C18 arched Gothick
windows. Fenestration otherwise disparate. Roof hipped to north. Interior.
North-west room with tongue stopped bridging beams and staircase. At first
floor attic door C16 with strap work hinges. In second bay west C20 staircase
leads to passage, timber framed to left, C20 additions to right. Upper hall
once spanned whole range now partitioned to form bedroom. Hall of 4 irregular
framing bays : arched braces to tie beams with 5 vertical struts rising to
rafters. Inserted ceiling. Western tie beams and fireplace overmantel painted
in diamond diaper. Fireplace bressummer triple roll moulded on outward face
bearing carved shields at each end. 2 C16 doors with strap hinges flank
fireplace and lead to privy (left) and coal store (right). Room lit by
mullioned windows. East wing dining room in north bays retains fireplace with
4 centred bressummer inscribed A.E. and with shields at ends. Double stud
stops with sunk roll in chamfer. 2 bridging beams with similar stops.
Remainder of range C18 : chamfer stopped bridging beams; alcoves at each end
with fluted Corinthian case and segmental arch flanked by similar shell hood
cupboards. North wing roof entirely C20, east wing with tie beams, collars
and 2 tiers butt purlins but many timbers renewed.
Listing NGR: TM0710492556
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings