History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thorough Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8711 / 51°52'16"N

Longitude: 0.6873 / 0°41'14"E

OS Eastings: 585101

OS Northings: 222586

OS Grid: TL851225

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LM0

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V7QF

Entry Name: Thorough Inn

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Last Amended: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116124

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL EAST STREET
(north side)

9/92 No. 17 (Thorough Inn)
31.10.66 and no. 19 (formerly
listed as Nos. 17 and
19)

GV II*

House, now 2 houses. C14, altered in C17, C18 and C20. Timber framed,
plastered with some exposed framing and C20 brick nogging, roofed with handmade
red plain tiles. 2-bay hall facing S with stack to rear, rebuilt in C20. 4-bay
service crosswing to left, with C18/19 stack in second bay, and vehicle access
through to right of it. 3-bay parlour/solar crosswing to right, with C18/19
stack to right of it, and C14/15 2-bay extension to rear. C19 and C20
extensions to rear of hall and this extension, 2 of which are roofed with slate.
2 storeys with attics. Both crosswings were originally jetted to the front,
now cut back on the line of the lower storey. No. 17 comprises the left
crosswing, no. 19 comprises the remainder. No. 17 has on the ground floor one
early C19 sash window, of which the lower sash has been altered, and on the
upper floor one early C19 sash of 16 lights, with crown glass. The lower storey
is infilled with C20 brick nogging, the upper storey with C18 lightweight
framing and primary straight bracing, exposed externally. Closely spaced joists
of horizontal section are cut through and exposed. C20 iron gates in vehicle
access, incorporating the name Thorough Inn and the date 1530; C19 half-glazed
door in left side of vehicle access. No. 19 is plastered, with on the ground
floor one C19/20 sash of 16 lights, and a C19 shopfront altered to a tripartite
sash of 4-12-4 lights, and a 6-panel door with inserted leaded glazing in 4
panels, with a fascia and dentilled and moulded shallow canopy on 2 large
scrolled brackets; one stone step. On the first floor, 2 C19/20 sashes of 16
lights. Continuous roof over hall and both crosswings, hipped at right end and
at rear of left crosswing. The vehicle access is on the site of the original
cross-entry, but it has been widened. No. 17 has a blocked unglazed window
below the rear tiebeam, and a crownpost roof of which the front and rear parts
have been altered, leaving one plain square crownpost with one of 2 down-braces
to the tiebeam, and one of 2 axial braces to the collar-purlin. In no. 19, the
hall (span 6.70 metres) has a late C16 inserted floor, with a chamfered axial
beam with lamb's tongue stops, joists plastered to the soffits. The large hall
window to the rear retains the transom, and above it 3 diamond mullions. At the
right end is a blocked doorway into the parlour, with a 4-centred head. The
hollow-chamfered cambered tiebeam in the middle of the hall has mortices for
deep curved braces almost meeting in the centre, and for spandrel-struts; above
is a cross-quadrate crownpost with 4 rising braces, all heavily smoke-blackened.
At the right end of the hall the collar-purlin has been severed, probably for a
stack which has been demolished. The front wallplate, which is hollow-chamfered
with step stops, has been severed for a window, and at the right end it is
mutilated. The right crosswing has chamfered binding beams with step stops,
plain joists of horizontal section, one of 2 internal tiebeams, with a square
crownpost with 4-way rising braces, and a blocked unglazed window below the rear
tiebeam. The wallplate scarfs are edge- halved with sallied and bridled
abutments. The 2-bay extension to the rear appears to have been built soon
afterwards, and has the same type of scarfs in the wallplates. Much of the
studding of the left upper wall has been removed where it abuts on a large
lean-to extension. The deeds in the possession of the owner record that it was
owned by Greene King, brewers, from 1886 to 1902, and was then called the
Bird-in-Hand Inn. RCHM 66.


Listing NGR: TL8510122586

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.