History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hopkins Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Belchamp Walter, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0243 / 52°1'27"N

Longitude: 0.6215 / 0°37'17"E

OS Eastings: 579956

OS Northings: 239454

OS Grid: TL799394

Mapcode National: GBR QHL.1XT

Mapcode Global: VHJHS.QDF0

Entry Name: Hopkins Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169516

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115722

Location: Belchamp Walter, Braintree, Essex, CO10

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Belchamp Walter

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Belchamp Walter St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Gestingthorpe

Listing Text

BELCHAMP WALTER
TL 73 NE

3/4 Hopkins Farmhouse
7.8.52
- II

Farmhouse. C15 or earlier and c.1600. Timber framed and plastered with peg
tile roof which is half-hipped with gables at west end and has small gabled
terminations at the front and rear of the east end. Of one storey with attics
but with 2 low floors at east end. The front has an off-centre, open gabled and
peg tile roofed C20 porch and one gabled dormer. The rear roof slope has 2
similar dormers. Off-centre on the ridge line is a stack with 4 octagonal
shafts. Windows are C20 casements with small panes. A medium sized farmer open
hall house of 'in line' type, with inserted floor with stop chamfered joists and
late C16 large stack, with semi-circular inglenook to hall. This has a moulded
timber mantel bead. The central posts and tiebeams survive with heavy, flat
chamfered arch braces and simple soot-blackened crown post roof with thin
straight bracing. c.1600 the low end was rebuilt as 2 storeys with the curious,
'reversed assembly' gabled terminations and moulded corbels. One truss of this
phase has a raised collar with arch braces. The west or high end bay was also
widened at this time. In this west room is an elaborate late C18 corner
cupboard with serpentine shelves and raised and fielded panel doors and painted
putt in the spandrels. RCHM 6.


Listing NGR: TL7995639454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.