This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4494 / 52°26'57"N
Longitude: 0.9835 / 0°59'0"E
OS Eastings: 602840
OS Northings: 287675
OS Grid: TM028876
Mapcode National: GBR SFH.HGF
Mapcode Global: VHKCB.0P9P
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220382
Location: Quidenham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR16
Civil Parish: Quidenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Quidenham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 08 NW QUIDENHAM QUIDENHAM
7/135 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. Flint with ashlar dressings and machine tiled roofs. Early
C11 west tower, late C11 nave remodelled late C13, south aisle late C13 rebuilt
C19, early C14 chancel restored C19, north transept C19. 2 stage round tower,
the lower stage C11. 2-light late C14 Perpendicular west window above remains
at triangular-headed Anglo-Saxon window. 4 blocked early C11 ringing chamber
windows are circular. String course below late C14 octagonal belfry stage
with 2-light restored cusped panel windows, each alternate one blocked with
knapped flint. Crenellated parapet with finials. Octagonal plain tiled spire
1857. C19 south aisle of knapped flint, the west window possibly late C13
reset : 2-light with cusped arches supporting cusped triangle under hood with
relieving arch. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses and reset door
arch below sundial. 2-light square side windows. Flushwork buttresses to
aisle and 3 2-light Perpendicular windows. 2 chancel south windows 2-light
with reticulation units set into substantially C19 masonry. String course
above Priest's door. Diagonal east buttresses. 4-light east window with
cusped lights and 2 large reticulation units in Y frame with central mouchette.
One 2-light reticulated north chancel window. Gabled north transept with
diagonal buttresses and 3-light north window. 2 2-light C19 Y windows to
nave. Late C11 Norman north door : single order of shafts with volute capitals
hinting at waterleaf, and roll moulded arch. Interior. Tall semi-circular
tower arch on square imposts, the arch blocked by screen which is portion
of C16 rood screen. 4 bay C19 arcade but with late C13 responds east and
west : quatrefoil piers with fillets between lobes with moulded bases and
capitals. Double hollow chamfered arches. Octagonal font. Boarded scissor
braced nave and chancel roofs. C19 chancel arch. C19 arched and cusped
sedilia and piscina in chancel with 2 similar niches flanking east window.
3 reused late C11 shafts set into chancel north walls with volute capitals.
2 memorial tablets in north chancel wall to Lord Sandys 1700 (west) and Lady
Alathea Sandys 1679 (east). Curved timber Royal Arms over tower arch and
poor box on turned shaft dated 1639.
Listing NGR: TM0284087675
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings