History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Belchamp Hall, Including Outbuilding at Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in Belchamp Walter, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0345 / 52°2'4"N

Longitude: 0.6613 / 0°39'40"E

OS Eastings: 582642

OS Northings: 240688

OS Grid: TL826406

Mapcode National: GBR QHG.D04

Mapcode Global: VHJHT.D4Y5

Entry Name: Belchamp Hall, Including Outbuilding at Rear

Listing Date: 12 November 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169581

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115741

Location: Belchamp Walter, Braintree, Essex, CO10

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Belchamp Walter

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Belchamp Walter St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Gestingthorpe

Listing Text

BELCHAMP WALTER HALL ROAD
TL 84 SW (west side)

1/23 Belchamp Hall, including
12.11.55 outbuilding at rear

GV II*

Small mansion. c.1720. Of red brick with gabled peg tile roof for front range
with a series of hipped roofs at rear forming 'double pile' plan form. Generally
of 2 storeys with attics, but with complex group of attached outbuildings at
rear, mostly of one storey with attics. Facade of 9 bays of double hung sashes,
with small panes and parapetted gable ends and front. The centre bay with
pediment over first floor projects slightly forward. 2 bays at each end are
articulated with giant pilasters to suggest corner pavilions. Walling is of
fawn gault bricks and dressings aprons and pilasters are of carefully rubbed
and gauged red brick. Behind the parapet are 3 pedimental dormers the centre
is semi-circular. A late C18 central stone porch has Doric pilasters and urn
finials. The plinth has a series of semi-circular relieving arches partly
exposed above ground level. On the south front is a 2 storey C19 canted bay
window with brick detail to match the front. The gable ends have large
rectangular stacks. The entrance hall has a stone flagged floor and dog-leg
stair of simple late C18 character. The half landing has an elaborate
semi-circular headed window, glazed with fragments of C16, C17 and C18 stained
glass. Similar panels of glass are incorporated into the ground floor front
sash windows. The southern room of the front range has late C18 panelling and
doors and internal window shutters. The north room is panelled, incorporating
overmantel with friezes and many fragments of linen-fold and marquetry work. A
pair of late C18 Ionic red marble columns stand in antis. The rear outbuildings
include 2 square tower-like brick structures, with peg tile pyramid roofs and a
single storey link block. To the north of these is a one storey and attic
block, part white weatherboarded with a painted timber cupola.


Listing NGR: TL8264240688

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.