This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8288 / 51°49'43"N
Longitude: 0.6514 / 0°39'5"E
OS Eastings: 582800
OS Northings: 217791
OS Grid: TL828177
Mapcode National: GBR QKY.9HY
Mapcode Global: VHJJS.79QC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Last Amended: 24 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169594
English Heritage Legacy ID: 113506
Location: Rivenhall, Braintree, Essex, CM8
Civil Parish: Rivenhall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Rivenhall and Silver End
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 81 NW
Church of St Mary and All Saints
Anglican parish church. C10 timber church, rebuilt in stone in circa late C10 or early C11, chancel extended circa early C14, west tower and west end of nave rebuilt in early C18; remodelled in 1838 by J A Repton; altered and south porch built in 1878. Rendered flint and brick. Slate roofs. Plan: Nave and chancel; chancel extended in circa early C14; west tower and west end of nave rebuilt in early C18; south porch added 1878. Exterior: Nave and chancel with polygonal corner turrets, parapets with moulded cornices, the nave with battlements. 2-light Y-tracery chancel windows and 3-light intersecting tracery nave windows and chancel east window. Render partly stripped from chancel revealing small round-head lancets and blocked window on N side. Circa 1300 double chamfered N doorway and C15 S doorway. Tall thin 4-stage west tower with polygonal corner turrets and embattled pinnacles, battlements, 2-light Y-tracery bell-opening and west window and large 2-centre arch west doorway. Interior: Plastered walls and coved ceiling with transverse ribs. Circa 1700 Communion rail. Late C19 pulpit, eagle lectern, benches and choir stalls and font. 1904 organ by J W Walker. Hatchments. Royal Arms of James II. Monuments: Ralphe & Elizabeth Wyseman 1594, fine marble and alabaster tomb with kneeling figures and recumbent effigies; other monuments include Thomas Western 1699, William Western 1729, Charles Western MDCCC and other C19 memorials. Stained glass: exceptionally fine French glass reassembled in east window from St Martin at La Chenu of C12, circa 1200 and circa 1500 and fragments of medieval glass in nave windows.
Listing NGR: TL8280017791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings