This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.871 / 51°52'15"N
Longitude: 0.6874 / 0°41'14"E
OS Eastings: 585106
OS Northings: 222568
OS Grid: TL851225
Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LM2
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V7RK
Entry Name: Blackwater Cottage
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Last Amended: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116143
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL EAST STREET
9/112 Nos. 32 and 34
31.10.66 (Blackwater Cottage)
(formerly listed as
Nos. 28, 30 and 32)
Wrongly shown on OS map as no. 30 and adjacent to house to E. Part of house,
now 2 houses. 1585, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered with some
exposed framing, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4 bays of main range
facing N, with 2 C19 axial stacks. Originally this range continued to the right
for 2 bays; one bay has been demolished to make a vehicle access, the other is
now part of no. 18 (item 9/110, q.v.). 2-bay wing to rear of left end.
Catslide extension to rear of remainder. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19
tripartite sashes of 4-12-4 lights, or replicas, and one early C19 sash of 16
lights. First floor, 4 C20 casements. 2 C20 half-glazed doors, recessed below
underbuilt jetty. Exposed original bressumer carved in high relief with date
1585, defaced initials, grotesque beasts and scrolls, and exposed close studding
above. A C20 window in the right return has an attached strip of foliate
carving. In the right elevation of the rear wing, on the first floor, is an C18
wrought iron casement with rectangular leading. Jowled posts, chamfered axial
beams, unstopped, plain joists of horizontal section where exposed. Inserted
softwood post in rear wing. Cambered tiebeams, clasped purlin roofs with arched
wind- bracing, including some lightly smoke-blackened rafters re-used from a
medieval hall. Construction fairly plain apart from carved bressumer.
Converted in early C19 into a complex of small cottages, and restored c.1974
with Essex County Council's Revolving Fund, architect James Boutwood. Formerly
the Blue House, later The George Public House (G.F. Beaumont, A History of
Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 241). RCHM 69.
Listing NGR: TL8510622568
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings